Determining Two-cycle Mixed Gas from Regular Gasoline

Category Machines
Two-cycle mixed gas is generally used for small engines, like yard trimmers or lawn mowers. It is important not to mix up regular gasoline with this blend as it can cause damage to the engine if the wrong type is used. Be sure to refer to your owner's manual for the correct gas requirement.

I need to know how to tell two-cycle mixed gas from regular gas. We have one gas can of each, and no idea which is which. We already broke a lawnmower by guessing wrong once, and we just can't afford that same mistake again!

Nicole from Chicago, IL

Answers

Best Answer

The 2 Cycle gas should have a bluish color to it from the oil which is mixed in. Normal gas is more yellowish. Hope that helps - I know it is kind of a subjective way to tell.

By Mary. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

I had this problem too - my husband, who is a mechanic, told me to put some of the gas on my finger and that the mixed gas would leave a residue, while the plain gas would just evaporate

By (Guest Post)
Best Answer

You can also tell the difference if you can see into the container. The fuel mix will sometimes leave a dark residue in the container from the oil.

The smell will be different as well as the oil mitigates some of the gasoline smell, but the prime factor as was already pointed out is the color. Your fuel mix will be darker than regular gasoline.

By Dean (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Pour a bit of each of the two gases on to a white sheet of paper.The one with the gas will evaporate and leave no stain.The one with the oil in it will leave an oily stain.

Home and Garden Repair MachinesJuly 8, 2020
📓
🌻
😎
😷
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Determining-Two-cycle-Mixed-Gas-from-Regular-Gasoline.html