CrochetCrafts

Determining the Age of Crocheted Afghans

I have a crocheted afghan that looks to be for a king size bed that I found in my father's house after he passed away. I was told it looked old and I was just wanting to know if there was a way of knowing for sure. Thank you.

Best Answer

This won't be that easy:

1. You can start off with the stype of the afghan. Some styles vary over the years.
  2. You know the age of your father and how long he was married to your mom. A person could have given your parents this and it would not be quite so hard to narrow this one down.
  3. Also think back and remember if you ever saw this on the foot of the bed in your parent's room. This can also help you determine the date.
  4. Yarn is not so easy to determine the age. Some people use the rules for determining the age of an old rug when they try and determine the age of a crocheted Afghan.
  5. Did your mom ever do a lot of knitting and crocheting? This would also help you to figure out the age.
  6. Ad

7. If you have any family around you can show them a photo of the Afghan and ask them if they might know who gave this to your parents.
  8. Other than this you will have to guess the age. You can probably determine it is around 50+ years old.

Age of Yarn

Step 1
Some yarns lose color with age

Step 2
Some become brittle and break easily

Step 3
Some last for years with no difference

I think it's going to be hard to tell for sure.

Age of afghan.

Step 1
You could ask older family members they might know more about it.

Acrylic yarn came out in the early 50's so if it was made before then, chances are it's wool. Sadly, if you wash wool it will felt on you, so you can't test it that way or you will end up with something good for a rug and that's too big of a chance to take. Hope that helps.