Difference Between Blue Cross & Medicare

I have Blue Cross Blue Shield. I also have a pre-existing condition. Is Medicare (which I am eligible for) cheaper than continuing with Blue Cross? I am paying $500 a month for this coverage. My deductible is very high at the end of the year. My blood work is expensive and I have co-pays every time I visit my specialists. I spend around $8K a year in medical expenses.

You need a licensed insurance broker to answer your questions. Start with your pharmacy. Ask them if they have one they recommend or on staff (the one I work for does as a free service to our customers). At the same time, have them print off a list of your medications. Take that list to the insurance broker. They need to see what supplement you would need to cover the medications you are on, and any medical procedures you have and your various doctors.
If your copays are high at the end of the year, you are going into the gap and not coming out.
Please talk to an expert. Asking for advice on a forum such as this could cost you thousand of dollars if you follow wrong advice.

Anonymous

Thank you

I know a lot of doctors who don't take Medicare. If you need doctors who don't take Medicare, you might have to keep the Blue Cross.

I agree that an insurance broker can help you make a wise decision but you can do some checking on your own before you make any changes.

Have you been to your local BCBS office and discussed it with them? They do have knowledgeable people but you do not want to just talk to just any person so be sure you tell them you want to talk to one of their consultants. BCBS has programs that work with Medicare and they are much cheaper than just BCBS so take all your records and start there.
You must have regular doctors so be sure to ask them if they accept Medicare (most doctors do but MANY will no longer accept Medicaid). You can find out about this with a phone call to your doctors office.
Your situation is different than just a regular person asking for help/advice on choosing insurance polices so be sure you talk with knowledgeable insurance people before changing your coverage.

Medicare is cheaper! Again, just make sure that your DR accepts Medicare. Then you need a supplement. Shop around for the lowest cost. Where Medicare pays 80% a supplement pays the other 20%.

But if Medicare doesn't approve payment the supplement won't either. Your BCBS also only pays the 80%. That is why you have co-payments and a large amount to spend.

Some places like Costco or Walmart will sell you the more common prescriptions for only $4. Ask at the pharmacy department for more information.