Dishes Smell Bad After I Wash Them

After I run my dishes in the dishwasher, they have a strange odor to them. I have tried several detergents and had my water tested. I'm dumbfounded. Any ideas?

By brian from NY, NY

Best Answer

Look at your water. It is nothing to do with eggs, or your dishwasher, the water coming out of your taps has not been treated properly at source. Look up Hydrogen Sulphide in your water supply. Hope this helps. We have trouble here in France.

I am on my third dish washer. The first one left a wet dog smelk. Second one was alright. This one has the dog smell. only had it three wks

Best Answer

It's not your dishwasher, water supply, dish soap, etc. When there are periods of high heat, humidity and dew point keep your windows and doors closed.

The fresh (?) outside moist air is the reason.

Sounds like it could be the dishwasher. If there are screens in the discharge tube, clean them. Any part that can come out for cleaning should be pulled out and cleaned thoroughly. There a products available to run through a clean, empty dishwasher specifically to clean it. See if it helps.

I looked around and a couple people suggested running a lemonade koolaid packet through without dishes inside.

Put Tang (the powdered orange juice mix) in your soap dispensers and run the dishwasher empty (no dishes).

GE recommended using Tang for their dishwasher so I would go with that.

You may have some filters that need cleaning. Check out the inside and see. Mine is on the door, but there are sometimes things in the back that get clogged up.

You could also try running an empty cycle with soap and add vinegar to both the wash cycle and the rinse. I would add a couple of cups of it, at least.

CLR is the product used for cleaning, it is not that expensive and has no dye that the kool aid can leave behind. Also distilled white vinegar does that too. I had this issue, found out it was the Sparkle drying solution I used in the dispenser. They changed the marketing on it and instead of smelling good, makes your dishes smell like garbage.
I am talking about finish. Try the Cascade or even a generic one. It smells like it has a petroleum base, like an oil can got left in for the 2nd time. I have emailed the company and don't get feed back, so maybe suggesting the competition would help.

My dishwasher guy said DO NOT USE CLR IN A DISHWASHER. Use a commercial dishwasher cleaner like Finish or Glisten that is made for that purpose.

what is CLR?

I just went through this. I tried all dishwasher cleaners and vinegar and baking soda. However they still

smelled horrid. I cleaned garbage disposal to no avail. What worked was I purchased small bag of ice and
ran it through garbage disposal and it worked.
My maintenance man told me sometimes even if you clean garbage disposal stuff will still stick to
blades. I always run vinegar through disposal so I did not think this was the case it was.
Simple fix and cheap.
Good luck.

This smell is caused by washing dishes with leftover cooked egg residue on them, it will smell like a wet dog when drinking from your glasses etc. and will make you want to throw up, also very embarrassing to your guests. Sounds silly, but try this it really works, make sure your plates, and especially skillets are completely egg free before loading them to be washed. Then you wont have this problem, this test even works in the kitchen sink, try it. Hope this helps.

Eggs cause wet dog smell in my dishwasher. Prewash anything that has come in contact with either raw or cooked eggs before putting it in the dishwasher.

I haven't had the smell since I figured this out.

Anonymous

Evelyn got the smell exactly right: the smell of worms after a rain. We've been calling it the wormy smell for a few years now--ever since we got our new dishwasher. It's not every time we wash, but fairly often--with or without any eggs involved. We've taken to rinsing our drinking glasses before using them, but this seems crazy to have to do. However, it suggests that it is not simply the water.

I too am having a problem with a bad odor after I wash them in the dishwasher.

So many people are saying on here that it is from eggs. I don't cook eggs very often at all, so I just want to get that out there... It's not eggs.

I use Finish gel packs as my detergent and Jet dry as my rinse aid. I don't used the powdered detergents or the Finish Quantum cubes, because I don't like the gritty residue that ends up in some of my cups and glasses.

I have used dishwasher cleaners, cleaned the bottom of the dishwasher out including the filters, and still have this odor. It is to the point where I hate drinking coffee out of my coffee cups or eating anything on my dishes - and the silverware stinks, too.

It's hard to describe the smell... it's kind of like the smell of fishing worms, like when you go outside after a heavy rain and the air smells like worms from the ones that came out of the ground because of the rain... it's just gross.

The dishwasher is less than a year old. My dishes are new. I don't put pots and pans in my dishwasher. I rinse everything well, use soap on anything that may be greasy so there is not a greasy residue on my dishes, and yet, they still stink.

I can't replace the dishwasher, we live in a rental. I can't hand wash all of my dishes. My kitchen sink is small and shallow and in my kitchen island, which splashes soap and water everywhere, so that's not an option. As far as running Tang or Kool-Aid in it, well I don't use either one of those, so I don't know that that is something I want to do, especially Tang, since it has sugar in it.

I really don't know what else I can do. I am stumped.

Anonymous

Put Clorox into the dishwasher. This helped me with my problem. I could not find anything else to work. It is not caused by eggs. I could not stand the stink any longer. Good luck.

Anonymous

I don't know if you've gotten your answer yet but a tiny drop of bleach in your dish water helps to eliminate that smell. I hand wash my dishes

If you don't think it's eggs then have a fried egg or any egg for that matter and go outside and breathe in and you will taste the same smell it is eggs

I do not agree. I feel that with high quality dish washer soap and hot water full cycle cannot eliminate the odor of fried egg stuck to plate then whole technology have miserably failed. In my opinion it is rubbish.

I have noticed this horrible smell on plates, bowls, classes, cups for years and years. It doesn't matter how old or new a dishwasher is or whether you use a great variety of different detergents (E.g. Cascade or 7th Generation). I think the high quality Cascade seemed best, but it too left bad odors on the plates. The only solution I have found is to rinse the washed plates, bowls, and cups in water until all the coating is wahsed off. This washes off the shiney gleam, but greatly reduces the smell. Then I dry them back on the rack.

I had a similar problem and the cure was unlikely and simple. I cut down the amount of detergent by a half - in my case it was cutting the tablet in half and that cured the problem. It also cured that slightly sticky feel you sometimes get on the dishes.

I suffered from this problem for a while and the cure was unlikely and simple. I cut down the detergent by half - in my case I cut the tablet in half and this cured the problem. It also stopped the sticky feel the dishes sometime had.

Anonymous

Well here it is 2016 and I don't see any further complaints so I will have to try these remedies and see if it works. I have had that smell on my just washed dishes for a long time and I always said it smelled like a dog had been

Anonymous

My partner wouldnt believe me when I told him about the wet dod smell on my plates after we have had EGGS. Now he belives me. All I do is rince the plates first then add a little bit of bleach in the water. So all the people out there that think its your water check the next time youve had EGGS

Anonymous

I agree. After you eat eggs the dishes should be washed by hand. Otherwise all the things in dishwasher especially glasses will have an egg odor. Since I've been doing this egg smell is gone!

Anonymous

I think it is eggs, mine only smells like this when egg plates have been washed with other things, also happens in a washing up bowl. Smell goes when items are re washed separately.

Anonymous

There may be other sources but beyond a doubt with 100% certainty, eggs do cause this unspeakable odour in the dishwasher. Like the other posters said, hand wash plate and cutlery that contacted eggs prior to loading into dishwasher.

I finally realized I was over filling the soap dish in the dishwasher. The dishes smelled and never rinsed clean. Now I fill the soap to the line in the soap cup and no more smell. And I save money by not wasting soap.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJune 15, 2010
💘
🍀