General AdviceConsumer Advice

Dishonest Hairdresser

Have you had this experience with a new hairdresser? I just moved to a new town 4 weeks ago and was looking for a new hairdresser. I dropped in a salon last week to ask about rates. I told the receptionist I'd been paying $25 for a cut and blow dry (short hair) where I moved from. She said there were a couple ladies there who had a lot of senior clients like myself who probably would charge that. She gave me a couple business cards for those ladies. The one I called said she'd do it for $25.00. So she cut it this morning. So as she is finishing she told me her going rate was $50 for a cut and blow dry and the next time I came she would charge me only $35 like I was getting a bargain. She did a decent job and $35 may be reasonable for this area, but the fact that she wasn't honest with me from the very beginning; I will not go back. Sounds similar to a bate and switch.

By weinerdog41 from Ft. Worth, TX

Do you have any kind of beauty school in your area? I pay $6.75 for a haircut at my local City College School of Cosmetology. Don't think I would ever get a cut if I had to pay $25.!

You were ripped off all right. I live on a tight budget in Chicago IL - I'm retired so hair expenses aren't at the top of my list. I found that by going to a Beauty School I can get my hair washed, blow dried & styled for $6.00. The perms ($30) & hair coloring ($20) are a great value. Look in your phone book to find the schools.

That seems very expensive to me....even $35 is too much. I go to Great Clips and have for years. I always get a good cut and usually have a coupon so it costs me about $10.99. Even if I give a decent tip, I'm not spending too much. I really don't see that you'd be getting any better of a cut or better service at a more expensive salon, you'll just be paying more!

I go to Fantastic Sams and get a cut, shampoo and style for $23.00. They always do a good job and I really like not having to make an appointment. Give them a try if there is one in your area.

$35 is the normal cost for the work you had done. I live in NE PA where we enjoy a low cost of living and that is what the price is here. So the "going cost" will more than likely be higher where you live.

I suggest you go to a person who has a private salon in her own home. Look in the yellow pages and phone to inquire about costs.

Don't forget to leave a generous tip when you find someone who you like!