AdviceDogs

Dog Afraid to Poop After Painful BM

My baby is a 9 year old Maltese, he is the best dog in the world. However, a month ago he had some pain when he went pooty. I took him to the doctor and he said it was just an allergy. He gave him some medications after that he was fine no more pain, but now he doesn't want to go poop. He is afraid now. I'm so desperate he is holding it and I don't know what else to do. Please advise.

By Mary

Give him some boiled chicken for a while and change his food to a food which has no corn and no wheat and no artificial preservatives.

You can find them at Tractor Supply, and there are many. Try diamond lamb meal and rice and others are available, just look at the ingredients, and you want to see that there is not a lot of corn in the food. Corn makes lots of poop and wheat makes lots of allergies. Give your baby some boiled chicken and yogurt, not the kind with artificial sweetener though.

Take your little dog for a walk and let nature take it's course. Dogs smell other dog's dropping and this will give you good results.

Sometimes when I see my girl's rear end a little red and irritated, I guess when they scoot, I dip a q-tip in olive oil and apply. It gives them relief and they are happy like two little peas.

I forgot to mention on my previous post that I give my girls sweet potato to prevent constipation. Constipation can sometimes be painful. I boil the sweet potato until you can poke it with a fork just like a regular potato. I chop it up in small chunks and add just a small dab of butter or margarine. My girls love it.

He can't hold it forever, and if you give him the sweet potato, or a teaspoon of canned pumpkin, it will make his stool soft enough that he will go comfortably and stop being fearful. Sometimes this happens to pets (and us!) as we get older, so a little tweak to the diet, like the other TF members suggested, is helpful. Good luck!

I forgot to add make sure he drinks plenty of water too.

Try a teaspoon of pumpkin, it is natural and easy to feed. Always confirm with your vet first.

My vet said it was fine. My dog had become paralyzed in the hind end and we had to make it easier for her to go.