Dog Gets Car Sick

I have a dog, Jesse, a Shipoo, who gets sick every single time we take him someplace in the car. It doesn't matter how short the distance. His groomer is only 4 miles down the road, but he's vomiting before we even get there.

We hate having to leave him home every time we go on trips, but we don't like putting him through the misery of getting sick each time. Does anyone know of an effective treatment for motion sickness for dogs?

By Martie from MN

Answers:

Dog Gets Car Sick

What is he in when traveling? I bought doggy car seats for mine and as soon as they were elevated and could see out the window and could focus on distant, unmoving objects, they were fine. (07/16/2010)

By Jron7667

Dog Gets Car Sick

I also have a pup that gets carsick. The vet said to give her a quarter gravel. Today I tried it. She wasn't sick but cried the whole time. She gets so uptight that she is all over the place and I have to keep her tied down. She gets so hyper that she will throw up, pee, and at times have a bowel movement. I talked to the vet after and she said to give her a half gravel. She is only 12 lbs. She is a Shiranian, Shitzu and Pomeranian. Does anybody have an idea of what to do to get her to like a car ride? My car seat is covered with a pee pad and a blanket over it. (07/16/2010)

By jayseaweav