Cleaning House After Losing a Dog to Distemper

Category Pets
If your dog has died due to a distemper infection, it important to clean your house very well so that other animals don't get sick. Cleaning your house after losing a dog to distemper is an important step to help protect your other pets.

My family and I are cleaning our house after our puppy died a tragic death of distemper. We have been scrubbing our patio with bleach and mopping the floors with bleach and using a steam mop, too. We also had a disinfecting carpet cleaning service come over and disinfect our carpet. Is that enough, or is there more to it?

By hi

Answers

Best Answer

I had a dog that died as well from distemper I went to the feed store and they gave me some tablets that kill the virus on contact. You just dissolve into a gallon of water. I'm not sure what they are called but just ask somebody at the feed store. I was told to mop with bleach and then literally spray everything in your house and all over your yard anything your dog might have touched or brushed against. I even sprayed the lower part of the walls and doors .

Starving stray dog was diagnosed with distemper. Although vaccinated when adopted 2 weeks ago, it was too late. We have a $100 large crate, collar, and food bowl. Can any of these things be used safely with another dog? The vet said to make sure the next dog has "all" of its shots before it takes one step into our house, as the virus can live for years here.

How can I clean and sterilize the carpet and furniture? Any suggestions?

Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Cleaning House After Dog With Distemper

My veterinarian husband says, "Clean, clean, clean. Then when it's good and clean, clean again." Strong bleach solutions, strong sunshine, and air. it is an infectious disease that hangs on and has to be removed with care. Best thing to do, is make sure any other dog coming into the house is "fully" vaccinated. Just what your vet said, but now you have a second opinion. (12/02/2007)

By Judi

Cleaning House After Dog With Distemper

Yes, clean and sanitize. Tea tree soap is great to naturally remove a lot of yucky germs and illness. Make sure the next dog has it vaccinations at least 10 days before bringing it into your house. A vaccination is not effective immediately, most vets will agree 10 days minimum. I made my old vet come to my car to give out vaccines to any new dogs and then the dogs stayed at a friend's house for 10 days (her dogs were UTD on shots, also). I am taking a pup to the vet next month, new vet as I moved. I already gave the parvo and distemper shot myself so it won't get sick going there. He will do the rabies and a neuter. A pup or dog without shots is best bought in to a vet's office crated and exposed to as little as possible in the clinic. A lot of pets get sick at the vets office, petstores, expos, dog parks, etc. Ask you vet for cleaning tips and recommendations as well. (12/09/2007)

By Shaylee