Dog Itching

My Corgi scratches and scratches although he is treated with Frontline flea and tick medicine and sees a vet regularly. We also use prescribed medicated shampoo, and steroids. He is brushed regularly, but nothing seems to help. Any suggestions you have to combat this? Please advise. Thanks.

By Sonja S. from Hemphill, TX

Answers:

Dog Itching

It could be his dog food. Most dog food is filled with artificial preservatives, flavors and colors that can cause an allergic reaction in some dogs Try giving him an all-natural dog food for a while (or make your own dog food) and see if the itching stops. He could also be allergic to grass. In that case, you might have to start giving him anti-histamines. (06/16/2009)

By Patty Lynn

Dog Itching

I read on The People's Pharmacy that a mixture of 1/3 Listerine, 1/3 baby oil, and 1/3 water sprayed on the skin and fur will relieve itching, soothe skin and help cure hot spots on dogs and horses. (06/18/2009)

By Pam S.

Dog Itching

Thank Heavens I found a solution. I was constantly taking my dog, a Shih Tzu, to the vet for itching of the inside of his ears. I narrowed things down myself. I noticed that any beef from the table made his ears worse and when he ate the food he got worse. I went to Pet Smart and looked for something natural. No soy, wheat, or grain, no beef or chicken. The name of the food is "Blue" and put out by the Blue Buffalo Company. It is an all natural food and since he's been eating it his ears have cleared up. Hope this helps. (06/18/2009)

By busdrivr