Dog Sometimes Poops Inside

I have a 12 month old Cocker Spaniel cross. She was rescued from a puppy farm and while she is lovely, she has been hard work to house train. On the whole she is good and we keep our back door open to give her easy access to the garden where she will pee and poo, though occasionally she will poop in our sitting room on our rug. We are at a loss to understand how to fix this and any suggestions would be really appreciated.

Best Answer

It's possible she keeps smelling the spot. It's hard to get rid of the smell because a cocker spaniel's sense of smell is 40 times more powerful than a human's.

Anonymous

it was suggested I try a spray bottle with vinegar ( the salad kind, not the cleaning kind). the regular store and pet store pet cleaners do not list ingredients but I found they contain ammonia so the dog is still attracted to those areas
.I tried it today so we will see. it's supposed to repel them from pooping or peeing. my rescue is house trained too and can use the Doogie door as my other dog does