Dry Out a Flooded Floor With a Fan

Category Floors
Appliances and plumbing can fail and cause water damage to your floor. Part of the repair is to first dry out the flooring or subfloor. This is a guide about dry out a flooded floor with a fan.

A few months back, I posted about always being home and awake when you use appliances. A valve in my dishwasher malfunctioned, causing damage to the subfloor in the kitchen. I have removable tiles, so it will be easier to dry out the subfloor, but it can still be done if you don't. The owner of the store I purchased the floor from told me to run the fan continually for a week. He said keeping the air circulating is the best way to dry out the wet item. He also said that as the item dries, the floor will seem more buckled than before. After that, the floor will shrink and the buckling will be less.

I have put in a claim to the store I purchased the dishwasher from. Fortunately I have an extended warranty, and have not paid for the numerous repairs this pretty new and fairly expensive dishwasher has needed since it was installed. The store I bought the dishwasher from said they will consider my claim and decide on a case-by-case basis.

I can only imagine the damage that would have been done if I ran the dishwasher before I went to sleep or before I went to work.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes