Fixing Area Rugs that Bubble Up

Category Floors
If you have area rugs, they can sometimes develop bubbles that prevent the rug from laying flat. This page is about fixing bubbles in area rugs.

How does one repair bubbles in rug flooring?

dutch061 from Phoenix, AZ

Answers

By Pat R. (Guest Post)
Best Answer

A friend of mine who does all my floor covering for me and does it for a living, uses a small thin sharp object to prick a few small holes in the bubble, to release the air. This works sometimes if it is not a large area. If the covering is not glued you may be able to pull a portion of the rug back starting at the edge till you get to the affected area. Use something smooth and heavy to work the bubble out by working outward toward the edge. If this was put down by a professional recently have them come out and correct the problem. I hope this helps you. When I said something heavy i meant something like a heavy smooth piece of pipe.

I have had an area carpet cleaned. Now it is rippled and won't lay flat. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Debra from Hamilton

How do I stop an area carpet from bubbling up? I rent so I have area carpets on top of the landlord's carpets. Here is the problem, for whatever reason the carpet bubbles, creeps, folds, creases, whatever you want to call it. We have just replace the carpet AGAIN, and in less than 2 weeks it is doing the same thing. How do I stop this from happening and how do i get this carpet to lay flat again? Please help!

Answers:

Cupboard Liner

The problem is that the yarns of the two carpets, upper and lower, are rubbing against each other. Go to an RV supply place and buy some of the rubbery, slightly sticky stuff that we RVers use to line the kitchen cupboards of our rigs so that our dishes stay put when we travel. You can buy the same stuff at places like K-Mart next to the Contact paper that is used to line home kitchen cupboards, but you can get it by the yard at the RV store, which might be cheaper. Buy a piece as long as one of your area rugs and place it under that rug. Should stop the area rug from sliding around.

By Betty

Can Be Caused By Stretching

They might be bubbling because they are getting stretched. If an area rug is sitting over a softer carpet, as the carpet underneath compresses each time it's walked on or furniture is placed on it, it could cause the area rug on top to slowly stretch over time. Unfortunately, if that is the cause of the bubbles, there's not much you'll be able to do about it.

By Jkendall