Repairing a Burn Mark on Carpet

Category Floors
iron burn on carpet
There are many ways to accidentally leave a burn mark on your carpet. This is a guide about repairing a burn mark on carpet.

Can anyone tell me how to take out a scorched mark on carpets please?

Answers

You can try lightly sanding it and using a handheld vacuum to vacuum away the residue

I dropped my hot iron on the carpet and now I have a image of an iron on my carpet. The carpet feels hard and I don't know if it can be fixed.

It has melted.

The only way to fix it is to get a piece of the same carpet. Cut it and replace the spot. Use carpet glue and make sure the weave is going in the same direction.

How to you get an iron mark out of a carpet?

By Jackie from Norwich, UK

I am afraid you can't get the mark out, unless you replace that piece of carpet. When iron gets in contact with carpet, it burns the carpet fiber, which is irreversible. :(

How do you remove iron burn marks from carpet?

By Rikilee from Manureawa, New Zealand

Answers:

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

There are some really good tips in the ThriftyFun archives below this comment section :-) (09/24/2010)

By Deeli

How do I repair a burn on car carpet?

By Kathie

Answers:

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

There are some really good tips in the archives below :-) (02/25/2010)

By Deeli

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

Yes, it can be repaired. As someone said, go the the closet and scrape or cut off some of the pile with scissors or a razor and glue it to the burned spot. I did it and you'd have to get down on your knees and look awfully close to see it and then you'd have to know where to look. My brother is in the carpet business and he gave me this tip. (02/28/2010)

By TXBetty

Is there any way to get a surface burn mark out of a flat carpet? It did not burn a hole, but the surface is still noticeable. Thanks.

By janmar63 from Philadelphia, PA

Answers:

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

You can't repair it. Carefully lift the fibers and give it a haircut, then brush well, should look pretty good, and only you will know where it is. (07/28/2009)

By SusanMarie

How can I repair burn marks on carpets?

Karen from Swiftwater, PA

Answers:

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

I always get a little pair of scissors and cut the burned part off, fluff it up and forget it. It doesn't show from a glance. (02/07/2008)

By Lily 59

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

Do as another one said. Cut out the burnt places if they are small. Then go to a closet and with scissors or razor blade scale off the top to get pile and glue in (super glue) where the burnt places were. My brother (the carpet and tile expert) gave me this advice. I did this in an appartment I just moved from. You'd have to get down on your hands and knees and look really close to see the repairs. (02/08/2008)

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

The best way to remove a slight burn from Berber carpeting is to get a blunt pair of scissors (the tips of the metal scissors are slightly rounded). Scratch the scissors across the burn several times. The melted fibers of the Berber carpeting will start to loosen up and turn into almost a powdery residue. Make sure you don't do it for a super-long time; you don't want the loops to break or the carpet to become too "fuzzy" from the impact of the scissors. Eventually, the singed fibers will loosen up and the carpet's appearance should be lighter. This will not work for heavy burns, only for a slight melting where the fibers have turned a bit "gray".

I hope this helps. I just finished experimenting with this on my own carpet. Irons suck. (03/11/2008)

By Carpet Burns Suck

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

I have a very light colored carpet. I had a party and I got 3 major burns from coals. Tried to cut away the worst and scrub it away. It's still going to look bad, so for a white carpet rub chalk in and for a light colored carpet, use make up base. It works like a charm. (05/25/2008)

By Tash

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

Carpet cleaner and razor works every time. Thanks everyone.
(11/30/2008)

By James

My son is getting married soon and they have found an apartment but the bedroom carpet has an iron burn on it! Is there anything to get this out? The carpet fibers look black, the carpet is light colored.

Wiseinhimmer from Iowa

Answers:

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

It is the apt managers responsibility to replace carpet and make necessary repairs.
(03/22/2005)

By Leah

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

Make sure you make a list of all the damage the apartment had before your son moves in and have the apartment manager sign and date it. Some dishonest managers may try to blame it on your son and take the damage deposit because of it. The only thing I can think of that might make the spot look better is taking a very sharp razor blade and cutting away the burned fibers. (03/22/2005)

By austin95mom

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

There is no way to 'get a burn out' as the carpet itself is destroyed. If it is superficial you may be able to use a razor and shave off the black charred/melted surface. In anything but the most superficial singeing there will always be a mark or a thread bare area left behind. If the apartment owner has any offcuts from the original carpet laying you can cut out a square around the burn and replace it with a square of good carpet, but this may be glaringly obvious if the present carpet is worn/grubby from use. If the owner will not replace the carpet the other alternative is a throw rug to hide the burnt area.

Regards

Jo (03/22/2005)

By Jo Bodey

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

You can cut the damaged area out with a carpet knife and replace with spare piece of carpet with glue gun. (12/29/2005)

By cleaning guru

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

In a small burn, after you trim away the burned fibers, go get some good fibers from an invisible place, like the closet or in a corner. Add a little Elmer's glue or whatever to the fibers, and stuff them into the space where you timmed the burn.

For a larger burn, cut the burn out, including the base. Find an invisible piece of carpet, or some from the sample you're supposed to keep. Cut a "plug" the same shape and size as the hole. Put duct tape sticky side up around the hole, taping the normal carpet base and a rim for the plug before you put the plug in. Step on it a few times to make sure it sticks.

p.s. If you do this yourself, instead of calling the rental manager, you will win a reputation as a good tenant, rather than a helpless, unreliable child. The manager may know where a sample or an unused carpet piece is stored. Just ask, and tell him what you're planning.

p.p.s. the signed list of damages before moving in is done by responsible tenants for their own protection. Never forget it. In luxury units, this walk-through is routinely scheduled. (02/07/2006)

By the Oracle

Removing a Burn Mark From Carpet

Hi there, removing a burn from a carpet is nearly impossible I did have an iron burn on my carpet. I found a dog brush (a small brush with small wire bristles) and pick it. This fluffs the carpet, also a razor, a cheap BIC raz. go over it LIGHTLY start 4 inches away from actual burn and do it very lightly towards the burn so it blends in. If you have any more questions I am handy on fixing carpets (what can i say I'm a klutz, I spill and drop a lot of things!! =0) )) (05/17/2006)

By Michelle