Dyeing Bath Towels

Category Fabric
Thinking of changing the appearance of your bathroom, try dyeing the towels. This is a guide about dyeing bath towels.

I have some nice sage green towels that were ruined by peroxide. I would like to get a similar color back. What dyes should I use? Do I need to remove the color before redying or do you recommend that I just color over the originals?

Answers

I would dye the lighter spots first to make the towel more uniform. Then I would dye the whole towel a second time.

Before dyeing your towels again, you will need to know what your fabric is. If it is a cotton or cotton blend you can easily dye your towels using a fiber reactive dye.

If you use a darker colour dye than the original shade, it will dye out evenly.

Most likely you can dye your towels but be sure to buy the correct dye for the material in your towels.

Suggestion: Use a disposable foam brush, and first dab hot dye on just the bleach spots, making sure the stains are covered before submerging the entire towel in the dye bath. Also, although it would cost for more dye, i would suggest to make a new dye bath for each towel and I believe it will take 1 bottle of dye for each large towel and have lots salt for adding to mixture.

Here is a good site with some clear instructions.

http://renov8or … t-of-towels.html

Try rit dye just on the spots where the peroxide is.If that does not work bleach out the colour and start over.

Can you dye a white towel another color using the same procedures?

Hi - if you want more answers just go to this site and click on Ask a Question and several responders will try to help you.
White towels can be dyed almost any color. Just be sure to check the material contents before buying your dye. Rit dye is good but there are also several other companies making dyes now - check on line or at most large stores in sewing departments.

I have burgundy cotton bath towels that I would like to dye dark brown. Will this work?

By Joani

Answers

You'd be better off by purchasing new dark brown bath towels then trying to dye them. Why spend money on fabric dye and find out the hard way that it didn't work.

Red and green make brown, so use green dye, rather than brown. Brown dye will leave it too red. I make brown icing this way. Good luck, there is no reason why it won't work.

Rit dye is pretty cheap, I'd say go ahead and give it a try. If the towels are in real good shape but just not the right color, may as well spend something on a box of dye and I think one box would be all you'd need. I do not know which color to use tho. Maybe you could find out online somewhere.

I have dyed bath towels. It depends on how many towels that you are dyeing as to how much you use. Make sure that you're using really hot water. Wash the towels 1st, don't use fabric softner. Keep the towels damp. I put the dye in when the washer is full. I then let the washer run to mix thoroughly. Then I put the towels in the washer. I let that run for about 10 minutes & stop the washer. I let the towels soak for about an hour. Then I restart the washer to run through the total cycle. I get a much deeper color this way. Just remember to wash separately from other things. I would say that if you have more than 3 towels, use 2 pkgs.

I plan to dye 3 full sets of bath towels (a set = 2 30"x 60" towels, 2 20" x 40" hand towels, 2 12"x 12" face cloths and 2 20"x 30" bath mats). How much dye will I need to do this?

By Jacqueline