Dyeing Bath Towels

Category Fabric
Thinking of changing the appearance of your bathroom, try dyeing the towels. This is a guide about dyeing bath towels.

I have some nice sage green towels that were ruined by peroxide. I would like to get a similar color back. What dyes should I use? Do I need to remove the color before redying or do you recommend that I just color over the originals?

Answers

Best Answer

If you use a darker colour dye than the original shade, it will dye out evenly.

I have burgundy cotton bath towels that I would like to dye dark brown. Will this work?

By Joani

Answers

Best Answer

I have dyed bath towels. It depends on how many towels that you are dyeing as to how much you use. Make sure that you're using really hot water. Wash the towels 1st, don't use fabric softner. Keep the towels damp. I put the dye in when the washer is full. I then let the washer run to mix thoroughly. Then I put the towels in the washer. I let that run for about 10 minutes & stop the washer. I let the towels soak for about an hour. Then I restart the washer to run through the total cycle. I get a much deeper color this way. Just remember to wash separately from other things. I would say that if you have more than 3 towels, use 2 pkgs.

I plan to dye 3 full sets of bath towels (a set = 2 30"x 60" towels, 2 20" x 40" hand towels, 2 12"x 12" face cloths and 2 20"x 30" bath mats). How much dye will I need to do this?

By Jacqueline

Answers

Best Answer

You would need to read the directions on the dye you have available to you. Some dyes say to use 1 box or pouch or a portion of it for a certain number of pounds of fabric. Others state good for 4 shirts, or 2 pairs of jeans. Each brand of dye will be different, so there is no general answer to your question.