Dyeing Bath Towels?

Category Fabric
Thinking of changing the appearance of your bathroom, try dyeing the towels. This is a page about dyeing bath towels.

I have some nice sage green towels that were ruined by peroxide. I would like to get a similar color back. What dyes should I use? Do I need to remove the color before redying or do you recommend that I just color over the originals?

Answers

Best Answer

If you use a darker colour dye than the original shade, it will dye out evenly.

I have burgundy cotton bath towels that I would like to dye dark brown. Will this work?

By Joani

Answers

Best Answer

I have dyed bath towels. It depends on how many towels that you are dyeing as to how much you use. Make sure that you're using really hot water. Wash the towels 1st, don't use fabric softner. Keep the towels damp. I put the dye in when the washer is full. I then let the washer run to mix thoroughly.

Then I put the towels in the washer. I let that run for about 10 minutes & stop the washer. I let the towels soak for about an hour. Then I restart the washer to run through the total cycle. I get a much deeper color this way. Just remember to wash separately from other things. I would say that if you have more than 3 towels, use 2 pkgs.

I plan to dye 3 full sets of bath towels (a set = 2 30"x 60" towels, 2 20" x 40" hand towels, 2 12"x 12" face cloths and 2 20"x 30" bath mats). How much dye will I need to do this?

By Jacqueline

Answers

Best Answer

You would need to read the directions on the dye you have available to you. Some dyes say to use 1 box or pouch or a portion of it for a certain number of pounds of fabric.

Others state good for 4 shirts, or 2 pairs of jeans. Each brand of dye will be different, so there is no general answer to your question.

I have a hunter green towel that I would like to dye to more of a sage green. But the towels are personalized with my son's name. Is there a way to dye without ruining the name? And can I dye a hunter green to sage? If so how?

Answers

My best suggestion is if you want to try to dye the towel, to do so and then get a fabric paint and repaint the name. I have a feeling through that you won't be happy with the outcome...because if you are like me, your hand is not steady and the fabric paint will look kinda wonky...but that is just me.

If you have a steady hand, that could work for you! Michael's has a ton of fabric paints that you hold like a pen--maybe that will give you more control. Be sure to find one that holds up to lots of washing.

There are two ways to do this. You can either dye the entire towel and paint the name again. You can try to tape off the name on the towel and dip the towel in the dye and allow it to sit there. Or try to use some wax on the towel to wax over the name so that the dye will not seep through the wax. Then in the end you'll need to use a hot iron and newspaper to remove the wax from the name.

I agree, you can dye sage, but may need to repaint the name to stand out ! It will be a darker sage when you apply dye.

Thank you. I'll have to see if i can get someone to help with that. I definitely don't think my hand will be steady for it to look right.

Thanks for your reply

I will look into the wax. Thanks for your reply

You are starting with a very dark color that you wish to 'dye' to a much lighter color?

www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=hunter...

www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=sage...

I do not think you can do this without removing some of the darker color first and this would probably strip the name color as well.

It really seems you would have to remove the color and then dye it your sage green and 'paint' the name another color (paint could 'run' - according to the material and type of paint used).

I would suggest you contact Rit dye and ask them about this project but you will probably need a picture of the towel.

www.ritdye.com/.../

You could also take your towel to a craft store such as Michael's or JOANN's and ask them for advice.

Crafts FabricJanuary 25, 2013
🌻
📓
🐛
😎
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Dyeing-Bath-Towels-1.html