Dyeing Polyester

Polyester Fabric
Although dyeing polyester fabric can be difficult, it can be done at home using the proper method. This is a guide about dyeing polyester.

I want to dye a polyester wedding dress for a Halloween costume. There is a lot of sheer fabric, as well as, lace applique. I want to dye it hot pink; any suggestions?

By Wolfslilvixen

For a costume it shouldn't have to turn out perfect. Because of the different types of fabric, each type will turn out to be a slightly different shade of pink. As will any areas that have unnoticeable stains on it. Is the dress washable, because for dying, if I remember right, you have use hot water.

Go to your local crafts or fabric store (Michael's? Joann's? ) and get a dye that says it is for synthetic fabrics. Then follow the directions. That much fabric might require more than one package of dye to get an intense color.

DeBushe is right, you're going to need dye made especially for synthetic fabrics. LOL, I learned this the hard way:)

There is a product called PolyDye near the Rit at Joannes-specifically for dying polyester.

I am the mother of the bride. I recently bought a light teal colored dress. It's thin material and is double layered; the under layer is a solid material the top is a lacey type; 90% nylon, 10% spandex, and a 100% polyester. Can I dye it a dark blue and if so how?

RIT carries a line of polyester dye. They're available at most drugstores and Amazon

I would snip a piece from the hem or seam and try that before I dyed the whole dress.

Before dyeing a garment, I always ask myself this question - what will I do if it is ruined? Or is a totally different color than I wanted? If you feel that it will be alright with "okay" to either question then maybe you can try some of the methods suggested.

Polyester is very unpredictable and does usually dye well even with dye "made" for poly. I am assuming this is a one piece dress which means the dye will have to be for polyester, nylon and spandex. Many dyes require heat at some point and that may be a problem with these materials.

Have you thought about taking your dress to an upscale dry cleaners and ask their opinion and price - IF - they will consider doing it. I do not believe they will and if they do, they will not give you any kind of guarantee.

i assume you cannot return the dress but maybe you can try one method and if it does not turn out to suit you - maybe a new dark blue dress is in order?

I want to dye some lavender colored curtains burgundy colored. The problem is they are 100% polyester. Has anyone tried this?

By Brenda

Polyester will not take Rit dye. There may be other dyes available through specialty shops online but Rit works best on natural fibers like cotton or silk.

Don't waste your money, it doesn't work and you end up with something you won't like at all. I tried again recently and boy were the results ugly...argh! Dye has really gone up in cost in my area so really felt doubly foolish thinking it might work "this time". It won't.

We've been disappointed even by polyester/cotton blends and dyes. Even the blends don't take the dyes well, so I wouldn't risk it. I think you'd just lose your money. However, I've seen lots of really nice burgundy curtains in thrift shops lately that look great and don't cost a lot. Good luck!

I have a black vest that I want to dye a dark blue. I know that I'll have to bleach it (or do something to get rid of the color) first. However, the research I've done has been really contradictory on what I should do for the fabric I have. The vest is 69% polyester, 29% rayon, and 2% spandex. (The lining is 100% polyester.) Would bleach ruin this fabric? Again, I don't need to completely get this white, I just have to make it light enough so I can dye it a dark blue. Thank you in advance to any solutions!

You will ruin the vest. You can dye it darker, not lighter.

Bleach will ruin almost any clothing with even a small amount of polyester so please - put the bleach away.

Rit has a color remover but states polyester may not have good results.

There does not seem to be a really,really safe way to dye or redye polyester material. Please check out some of these links before attempting anything like this with your garment unless you plan to be satisfied if it finishes badly. Also, doing anything with polyester requires very hot water and washing machine cannot be used.

The washer does not get hot enough for the poly dye. The dye only becomes activated with boiling temperature. It sometimes looks good after the washer, but usually the dye rubs off on legs arms and furniture.

The washer does not get hot enough for the poly dye. The dye only becomes activated with boiling temperature. It sometimes looks good after the washer, but usually the dye rubs off on legs arms and furniture. "Idye natural works great in the washer, the poly does not."

http://www.dylon.co.uk/hints/

https://www.the  t-review-2147209

https://www.rit  w-polyester-dye/

http://www.wiki  om/Dye-Polyester