Earning Money Online

A woman with money flying out of her smartphone.
Stay at home parents and others often look for legitimate at home work options. This is a guide about earning money online.

This is a guide about selling items online. In more recent years selling our unwanted items, crafts, and more online has become a popular practice.

Three tiny gift bags standing on a laptop keyboard

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This guide is about earning income for online surveys. It is important to be careful when considering earning extra money with this kind of activity.

Computer Mouse and Survey

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide to selling crafts online. Selling crafts online can be an excellent way to earn some extra income. However, navigating the plethora of ways there are to sell your wares is a difficult task.

Online Shopping

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I saw the "Auctions for Income" infomercial the other night. It looked interesting, but I am always skeptical about infomercials. I did a quick search via Google and the majority of the sites that popped up on the first page of results basically yelled "SCAM!" in just as many words.

As mentioned there is a way to make money via eBay, but you need a product people want that everyone else isn't selling. My advise to anyone interested in doing something like this is to consider items that can be used on multiple sites.

For example, I go to yard sales, flea markets, Goodwill, and pawn shops and buy DVDs. Usually the more I buy, the cheaper I can get the product. I verify every disc is in like new condition before I make my offer.

I list my items first on Amazon. Items that either don't have a listing or are selling for pennies on Amazon, I try to list on another site.

On this other site, you trade DVDs (you pay for shipping when someone asks for one of your DVDs). As you mail DVDs you get to request DVDs. About once a week I go through the recently posted DVDs and see if any are going for big bucks on Amazon. If they are I request them and when they show up I list them on Amazon.

For the DVDs that I can't put on Amazon or aren't listable on the trading site, I post them on eBay. If they sell, great. If they don't, I can always have my own yard sale when the summer comes back around.

It takes a bit of organization and attention to detail, but it works.

For example, last month I was at a pawn shop in a town I only get to on occasion. I stopped there as an after thought. They were packed with DVDs. I bought 180 DVDs at .70 cents each - roughly $125. In the first week I sold 10 and made $73, more than half of what I paid.

You won't be a millionaire anytime soon, but it will keep you busy and you make some money. The added benefit is if this is something you enjoy - I love it :)

And just as another note for success: when I start listing DVDs on Amazon, I double check their condition. I only post DVDs in "Like New or Very Good" condition (usually I only post "Very Good" DVDs when there are few of them for sale and they appear hard to get). I also check the DVDs when I have an order and pack them for shipment. Reputation I believe is vey important to many people who shop online, and my profile only brags about the quality of what I sell (selling more in the long run). And when I slip the paper of the order in the package I always include a note: I thank them for the order and I ask them to go back to Amazon and leave feedback.

If this sounds like something you are interested in you can do the same thing with paperback books and CDs. I am sure there are other things as well, but I'm having fun with what I am doing so I haven't looked for anything else

Second note to success: the lowest price I sell something covers my costs and makes me a dollar. Costs include the packing materials, postage, and the gas to get to and from the post office. So these three things plus one dollar is my minimum price for a product. That's just good business.

Have fun, meet people and make some money. Or as they say in the races "Ready, Set, GO!"

By suntydt from Tazewell, TN

Answer Was this helpful? 16

Your essay is really worthy. Thank you for all the useful ideas. Super! Now more than ever, we need these boosts to thrust us over the top. Some of us are surviving; we must thrive! Thank you.

How can I make money online?

By xinh from NY

Answers:

Making Money On-line

Filling in surveys can give you some extra cash. Be warned the money is minimal for how many hours you spend doing them. (01/04/2010)

By stevenjones00

Making Money On-line

If you can buy things cheap and keep them clean, you can make good money reselling on Craigslist which is free and lasts 45 days.

Pick somewhere public to meet, never let anyone know where you live, ever!

If you are a crafter, sell for .20 each on etsy.com or for a more expensive way to go, do it on eBay.

These are good places to start.

Good luck!! (01/07/2010)

By Poor But Proud

What is the best way to make money online without a credit card? I've looked everywhere.

By AmberA. from Longview, WA

Answers:

Earning Money Online

I'm not sure either other than just keep doing research and never, ever pay for a position. Always remember that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. My daughter does medical transcription on line, works a lot of hours and gets paid quite well. However, you must be trained in medical terminology. (06/27/2009)

By chef4u

Earning Money Online

Why not try on line surveys, I do about 4 a week and get paid for doing them, You don't get a lot but every little counts. (06/27/2009)

By daff55odil

Earning Money Online

I use swagbucks and MyPoints for bonus money. You can get gift cards for amazon.com from swagbucks, and they sell everything. MyPoints has giftcards for tons of place, including Walmart, so very useful. I also mystery shop, and most of the work is from home. Google "MSPA". That will help you find which companies have jobs in your area. (07/02/2009)

By emilykate84

Earning Money Online

Ebay? They charge too much for the little money and tone of work that is required of a person. Ebay is not a good bet when selling tons of items. (07/20/2009)

By Maags

Amazon

Amazon is a pretty good sell site for selling old books and movies. They don't charge as much as eBay and they have a very large audience. (07/20/2009)

By Maags

Does anyone have any ideas on how to legitimately make money on the internet? I am needing to make some extra income and am interested in finding out about some legitimate web sites to work with and for. Any suggestions? Thanks ahead of time.

Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

Earning Money Online

Robyn,
I don't know of any ways to earn a reasonable amount of money online, and as I am in Australia, I probably won't be able to research anything that would be of use to you. However, on seeing your name pop up, I wanted to say how much I love your recipes. Perhaps you could think along lines of a website that offered E-recipes for a small fee. Thank you for the many, many contributions you make to this site.
Kindest regards.
Maree (11/12/2007)

By maree

Earning Money Online

Do you listen to Clark Howard? Any topic consumer oriented is his forte. People are constantly calling him for info on work at home ideas. Here is the link to his page for the only legitimate work at home ideas he has found. http://clarkhoward.com/topics/workathome_help.html

I do not miss a Clark Howard show and have learned so much from him about pretty much everything. I hope this helps, Robin.
Susan (11/13/2007)

By Susan M.

Earning Money Online

Check out these 2 sites. You won't be disappointed.
Online Best Surveys-https://paydotcom.com/r/11804/note/3122641/
and
THREE, and FREE, Exclusive Top Secret Wholesale Dropshippers - Free Web Site Included
https://paydotcom.com/r/12814/note/3124435/
(02/18/2008)

By Brenda

Earning Money Online

Another great site to make money is at the link below and its free to join.

https://www.mysurvey.com/index.cfm?action=Main.joinandr=6414348 (05/27/2009)

By 263236

Does anyone know a legitimate place I can earn money at home online without paying a fee. I don't want to own my own business just to make some extra money.

Francoise from NC

Answers:

Earning Money Online

I personally like surveySavvy.com. they *Do* pay you in cash and even for referrals. You even can check to see how much you have made and what you get from referrals and you can have them send you a check when you want them to. Please Use me as your referral here is my email addy that I think you might need Mntdelights AT obii DOT net

Thank you
Dahart (08/17/2006)

By

Earning Money Online

http://www.treasuretrooper.com/159944 (08/26/2006)

By Biguy

Earning Money Online

On my blog I list ways to make money online. www.ordinaryextralife.blogspot.com.

I get $5 from PineCone for filling out one 15 min survey and I get 2 or so a month. They are great! If you want to sign up for pinecone check the following sites daily: http://volition.com/ (there is one today at the top) or http://www.amylynn.org/home/pinecone.

Good luck! (06/13/2007)

By Rebecca

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.