Easy Stuffed Green Peppers
These days with the stores not carrying every product we need to cook with, we have to improvise with items we have in the house. So these stuffed peppers came out better than my original, and I had to use box mixes and canned products!
- 5 medium size green peppers, sliced around the top off, and remove, cutting away and using any pepper that can be chopped.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 stalk celery, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- excess green pepper minced
- 1 box beef Rice a Roni (4 Tbsp. butter, water as directed)
- 1 (14 oz can) diced tomatoes
- 1 envelope beef onion soup mix
- 4 Tbsp wondra (flour)
- 1/4 tsp gravy master
- 1 more can of diced tomatoes, in the blender with a can of mushroom gravy
- A handful cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare the green peppers, cut off the tops, use the tops for any pepper you can use. Drop peppers into a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes (blanch) them. Take out carefully and place aside
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef with onions celery garlic and spices. Add beef rice a Roni, 2 1/2 cups water, 4 Tbsp. butter, stirring well. Add 1 can of diced tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then lower to simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a blender, mix 1 can of mushroom gravy and 1 can of diced tomatoes, just pulse once. Pour into a medium saucepan.
- Then using a 2 cup measuring cup, add wondra, beef onion soup mix and gravy master. Mix with 1 1/2 cups of hot water, mix well.
- Pour 1/2 cup into meat and rice mix and the rest into the gravy.
- The beef and rice should be done.Turn it off. Put peppers into a square cooking dish. Put a 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of the pan. Then add about 1/2 cup of gravy in the pan. One at a time, hold each pepper and pack it full of the mixture, overfill by rounding off the top evenly. Place in the dish.
- When done filling the peppers, put them close together and top each one with a good packing of bread crumbs. Then put four tomato halves on top of each one. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Spoon a large spoonful of gravy over each one. Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes.
- Serve with a bowl of gravy and cheese (optional). This is not only delicious but beautiful to look at!
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!