Stuffed Green Peppers

Category Main Dishes
Stuffed peppers is a versatile recipe that is easy to make and inexpensive too. Changing up the stuffing routinely keeps them from being boring, unless you have a personal favorite. This is a guide about stuffed green peppers.

Stuffed green peppers have always been a family favorite in my house. It is a very frugal dinner, too!

• 2 jumbo green peppers, cut in half
  • 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
  • 1 small onion, chopped fine
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped fine
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped fine
  • a few slices of green pepper chopped fine
  • 1 box Zaterain's Red Beans and Rice, follow directions on the box
  • 2 cans Italian seasoned diced tomatoes (1 for the rice and 1 for topping the peppers)
  • grated Parmesan cheese (optional)

1. Using a large skillet, break up up the beef with a spatula. Add all the chopped veggies, the tomatoes, and bring to a boil. Follow the package directions for red beans and rice. Let this all simmer until it thickens.
  2. Par boil the green pepper halves. Ladle some of the sauce from the pan and put it in the casserole dish.
  3. Lay the pepper halves in a covered casserole dish.
  4. Fill and stuff the pepper halves. Over fill these.
  5. Using a the extra diced tomatoes, pour them on top of each pepper.
  6. Cover and put in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes, or until you see them bubbling hot.
  7. Top with grated Parmesan cheese, if desired.
  8. Ad

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a low-carb version of this classic dish. I used ground beef. Equivalent amounts of any ground meat or beans could be used for variety. You may also vary the spices. Recipe can be doubled, tripled or even quadrupled.

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 2 servings

• 1/4 lb ground beef
  • 1/2 onion
  • 1 1/2 cup riced cauliflower (I used half of a 12-ounce bag of frozen riced cauliflower)
  • garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste
  • pasta sauce
  • 1 green pepper, halved and seeded
  • shredded cheddar cheese, optional

1. If the cauliflower is frozen, cook it.
  2. Ad

3. Sauté the meat a few minutes. It can be a little pink, as it will finish cooking in the oven. Season to taste with the spices. Remove from pan.
  4. Dice the onion. Add the onions to the beef fat, and sauté a few minutes.
  5. Add 1 1/2 cups of the riced cauliflower and sauté. Season to taste with the spices.
  6. Add the meat back. Put some pasta sauce in and simmer a few minutes. You want a thick mixture, so don't add too much.
  7. Divide the mixture equally into the pepper halves. Top with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
  8. Bake in a 350 F oven for about 20 minutes. The pepper should be soft enough to cut easily, but not mushy.

Stuffed green peppers remind me of being a kid. My Mom's recipe was the best! Now I have tweaked and tweaked, and made up my own. I hope you like it.

Another favorite of my husband. We love fresh peppers and this recipe is great!

Slice tops from green peppers; remove seeds and membranes. Parboil in boiling, salted water to cover, five minutes in covered pan.

Drain. Combine remaining ingredients. spoon into peppers. Place in baking pan.

Two recipes for Stuffed Green Peppers

These are so good! They were a favorite of my family, especially my daughters, when they were growing up!

Do I blanch them first? How long? Then do I let them freeze and stuff them or do I blanch, then stuff them, and then freeze? I'm sorry about this; it is my first time. I'm excited about it, but want to do them the right way? Please help. Thank you.

By Joanne from Attica, IN

Answers

Anonymous

Just cut off the tops, remove the seeds and membrane inside, stuff and bake. I like to bake them with the tops on simply because you can still eat the top (just don't eat the stem - LOL) and having the top on helps keep the top portion of the stuffing moist.

I don't know about blanching but I do know that when your pepper is prepared you stuff them with your already cooked stuffing and freeze them. Last time my mom and I froze green peppers we put them in individual sandwich bags and then a Velvetta cheese box. Closed it up and tossed it in the Freezer. When your ready to have them for a meal you put them in the over and warm them thoroughly (it took like 30 minutes, we just had them last week).

I really don't think you blanch them but you can probably Google Green Pepper recipe and if it says you blanch them before baking then you blanch them before freezing.
It's simple, you're making a "frozen food". All frozen foods are thoroughly cooked before frozen, packaged and shipped to the market.

My experience has been that you do not need to blanch the green peppers first, to freeze your stuffed peppers. I also chop and without blanching, freeze green peppers to preserve them and use in recipes during the winter.

I made them for the first time the other day and I looked online and it said to blanch them for 5 minutes in boiling water. It also said it works better to cut them lengthwise, deseed, and then stuff. I did it and it worked great for me.

I was reading a blog about freezing green peppers for stuffing. One lady said she freezes the peppers already stuffed, but not cooked. I'm looking a for a great stuffed green pepper with rice and meat not already cooked. Sorta like a meatball and using tomato sauce and no cheese. Thanks so much.

By Leslie

Answers

Anonymous

Whatever recipe you decide to use you'll want to pre-prepare any of the cooked portions of the stuffing, allow to cool, stuff into the peppers and freeze. This first recipe you can switch rice for the barley but adjust the cooking time accordingly. For the second recipe you can simply switch to beef instead of pork.

Tex Mex Stuffed Bell Peppers
4 large green bell peppers
2 cans (14-1/2 oz.) fire roasted diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce
2 cups cooked pearl barley (I pre-cook the day before if going to be in a time pinch)
1 cup cooked chicken, roughly chopped
1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup Pepper Jack cheese, shredded

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cut peppers in half lengthwise, remove seeds, discard stems and place, cut side up, in a 13 x 9 baking dish.
Combine the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and pepper sauce in a large bowl. Stir in the barley, chicken and beans and spoon mixture in to the peppers. Cover and bake for 40 to 45 minutes.
Sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

Pork Stuffed Bell Peppers
6 green bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded
1 lb ground pork
1/3 cup chopped onion
salt and pepper to taste
1 (14.5 oz.) can Italian Style Diced Tomatoes, not drained
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup uncooked rice
1/4 cup water (a tad more if needed)
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
2 (10.75 oz.) cans condensed Tomato Bisque Soup
1/2 cup water

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a large skillet, sauté pork and onions for 5 minutes or until pork is browned and then season with salt and pepper. Stir in the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, rice and water. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
Stuff each pepper with the pork and rice mixture and place peppers top side up in a baking dish.
Combine soup with 1/2 cup water in a bowl and pour over the peppers. Bake covered for 25 to 35 minutes until almost heated through and then an additional 5 minutes uncovered.