European Shorthair Cat Information and Photos

Category Cat Breeds
European Shorthair Cat
These recently recognized cats originated in Sweden, and were developed from ordinary domestic cats. This guide contains European shorthair cat information and photos.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Floris is a 12 year old European Shorthair. It was a gift from my mother-in-law. It loves to play in the garden, eat butterflies. It also sits in front of my computer screen, mainly when it's cold.

By Eliane

Close up of Floris the Cat

Comment Like this photo? 7

Aisha is 18 months old and is a European Shorthair (Moggie.) I found sweet little Aisha in a rubbish bin while visiting Greece in late 2004. She was very tiny, very sick, thin and half-dead from hunger and had almost no fur left because of ringworms. I had to extend my Greek vacation for a month in order to get her well enough and to get all the papers and shots needed in order for me to bring her back with me to Denmark.

Aisha is just a bundle of love and joy and it seems somehow that she realizes that she has been given a second chance in life. Her zest for life and having fun is just so heartwarming to see. She has 5 cat siblings, all rescue cats and she just loves to "harrass" them all and keep them on their toes. They all love her dearly and groom and cuddle their "little sister" all the time. She loves being spoiled by them all and gets away with anything where they are concerned. The world is definitely a better place with Aisha in it and I am so lucky I found her.

The picture is of Aisha on a walk with me in the woods next to where I live. She learned very early to walk on a lead and can't wait to go chase butterflies, bumblebees and anything else that catches her eye. She even wants to chase dogs, horses and bicycles, but I think she'd be biting off a bit more than she could chew if I let her do that. Maybe I should have named her "Braveheart" instead...

By Vicki from Copenhagen, Denmark

Aisha (European Shorthair)

Comment Like this photo? 1

From Left to right: Bonnie, Spurt and Maggie. They are 3 year old European Shorthairs (Moggies). Three years ago, I found 4 kittens under a bush in the pouring rain when they where just tiny kittens about 4 weeks old. They were very sick with cat flu and extremely skinny and it took a lot of TLC and visits to the vet to try to keep them all alive. Unfortunately just the three of them pulled through, but today they are a picture of health and happiness.

Their absolute favourite things to do are sleeping, eating and then sleeping some more, all cuddled up together. They stick together like glue and spend a lot of time hugging, play-fighting and grooming each other. I do a lot to keep them stimulated, because they're all indoor cats. Every week, I give them some sort of new experience or something new to do. Paper bags, boxes full of shredded newspaper, feathers I find in the woods (scaulded first of course) or hiding homemade treats in hard to find places around the house are just some of the fun and free things I give them to do to keep them all happy, exercized and entertained.

I have 6 rescue cats in all and I truly believe that somehow they are especially loving and grateful and happy to be alive as if they somehow instinctively know, that they have been given a second chance in life. As the picture shows, my cats love each other dearly and spend lots of time cuddled up together. It's just so heartwarming and cute to see.

By Vicki from Copenhagen, Denmark

Bonnie, Spurt and Maggie

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Aisha is 2 years old and is a European Shorthair cat (Moggie.) I found her in a rubbish bin in Greece. She likes "Being cheeky!"

I have told you all Aisha's story before, about how I found and rescued her while I was on Christmas holiday in Greece and you can read all about her somewhere here on the site.

So she has, to be fair, already had her 15 minutes of fame here on ThriftyFun, but I thought this picture was just too cute not to share. I love this picture and it's one of my favourites because to me, it just embodies all that's cute and wonderful and cosy about cats. I hope it'll make you smile as much as I do, every time I see this photo. :o)

(PS) Aisha says to say Happy Holidays to all. She loves Christmas and especially ravaging our Christmas tree, which of course she's allowed to get away with. It get's especially decorated with cat friendly things she and her siblings can eat and play with. We have no two-legged kids to share Christmas with, so our pets are all like our little children and we spoil them rotten. Can anybody tell, that we are a little bit cat crazy here at our house? :o)

Merry Christmas everyone...

By Vicki from Copenhagen, Denmark

Aisha (European Shorthair "Moggie")

Comment Like this photo? Yes