Facial for Dry Skin

I currently have extremely dry skin on my face. It is itchy, peels constantly, and looks awful. I don't know whether I have dermatitis, but I have used so many creams and moisturizers and nothing is really helping it. Any suggestions or advice before I go to a dermatologist? Thank you.

By Monica

I once had a dermatologist tell me to cleanse with water ONLY which would take off the dirt but leave your natural oils in place. Fill sink with tepid water and just splash face continually, without rubbing it. It sounds like you are allergic to something and should stop trying to use all those products and give your face a break.

I agree, it sounds like you might be having an allergic reaction to something. I had a reaction to a moisturizer I'd been using for years. My face went puffy and red with dry, flaky patches. At first I thought I'd been sunburned, and it took a while to figure out it was the moisturizer that was doing it.

You could try stopping all products on your face for a week (including makeup) and see if that makes a difference. Just rinse your face in lukewarm water and use a little olive oil as a moisturizer. If the problem clears up you can eliminate products one by one to see which is causing it.

Sounds like to me, if it's flaking that you may need to exfoliate. I know I had that problem once and the exfoliating got rid of the flaking. The flakes that are still on your face can cause the itching. If I don't exfoliate my face on a regular basis I can run my hand across my forehead and feel the dead skin rub off. I bought some little exfoliating pads at Sally's beauty supply that I use with my face cleaner.