Family Activities for Parents With Teens

Finding fun activities that you can enjoy with your teens can sometimes be daunting. This is a guide about family activities for parents with teens.

What are some fun one on one things my son and I can do when we are just hanging out together? He is 14.

By Susan from Syracuse, NY

Answers

Learn some card and board games that two can play. Get a Wii if you can afford it. Go bowling. Have a movie and popcorn night. Cook something together. Start a mutual hobby. Ride bikes together or go for a walk/run. Throw a ball back and forth. Shoot hoops together. Play croquet/darts/badminton. Ask your child what they would like to do.

Find out what interests him. Go to natural history museum, find out if you have an IMax/3D theater close by.
Go see a sports game ie hockey or basketball game. College games can be lots of fun and have cheaper tickets.
Teach him to play or do something unusual like chess or make scrap iron lawn ornaments or a card game from your childhood Take a class together in pottery, art, film making.

Something neither one of you has done but would be willing to try.
Be creative but make sure whatever you do that you both have an interest in some aspect of the activity. Good luck!

Simple cheap and fun - make some paper airplanes and fly them around. Who can make the one go the farthest. Who can make one do stunts. Who can get closest to a goal/target. You can get a book at the library or look up designs on the internet.

I bought a plane that was sort of like a kite and went out with my youngest daughter and we tossed it back and forth. We also flew a kite when the wind was right.

My oldest daughter was into Oragami so we got a book and made lots of paper things. She gave most of them to friends.

I took all three of my kids on a yard sale spree. Spent the whole day hitting the local yard sales and visiting the flea market. Gave each one a ten spot for buying things and for their lunch. That was a challenge, spending money on things but keeping some to pay for lunch. A little lesson on money management and they didn't even know it.

Anonymous

I think the question should be asked of what he thinks would be fun to do and share with you and then suggest things you would find fun to do and share with him and see what the two of you could come up with together for fun ;-)