Home InsuranceBudget & Finance

Filing an Insurance Claim After a Fire

When claiming a fire loss I have a book Pokémon cards in plastic sleeves. What is a replacement value of over 1000 cards? Do I look up every card? Will the smoke smell ever disappear? I am trying to negotiate with the insurance company myself. The cards can't be cleaned like most surfaces in my house.

You could ask your insurance company if you could get an appraisal and submit that as proof of value? Or, if you would have to reference each card individual and do your own homework.

I saw this website, may help you out: cardmavin.com/free-price-guide-pokemon-card-values to get an

You would have to look up the value of each card. Some are more valuable than others.

so I have had to deal with renters insurance and filing claims for items and what I found in my circumstance is they would rather pay a fire mold and disaster cleanup crew $10k or so than give you the money to replace the items. This is quite good as they also move all the crap out of your house, so am not complaining.

you can file a claim on specific damaged things and see what they say

in my experience unless you specifically purchase 'collectors/keepsake' insurance (not the actual name, don't remember the actual name of it) which is like an extra $5 a month yuour insurance will not reimburse you for specific collectors items, technology, musical instruents, etc, unless you specificaly have this insurance as part of your plan, if you had this specific insurance you would have then identified the appraised value which would have been built into your quote/monthly payment

if they survived i would just try to clean as best as possible and be glad they were not lost but i doubt you will be able to get anything specific for these things unless you'd done that other thing first

What type of insurance policy you have should determine how much research you should put into finding the value of these cards.

• If you have a policy that states full replacement then you may have more coverage for this type of item.
  • If you have "cash value" then there may be a much lower payout and you will need present value for any high value items.
  • Most policies carry a maximum payout (dollar amount) for collectibles/electronics (TV, computer, stereos, etc)/ jewelry, and that is as high as they will pay unless you have extra coverage for certain items and their value that you stated in the beginning (unless you kept updated) is what they will pay.
  • Ad

• Hopefully you had replacement value and extra coverage for your other items.
  • There are a lot of sites that have values listed for your Pokemon cards but it will take a lot of time and patience to go through that many cards.
  • I would suggest that you check eBay for the most valuable cards. Go to eBay Pokemon cards (160,000 or more) and click on "sort" then select "highest price".
  • Then you can quickly go through the most valuable cards just in case you are lucky and have a rare card. You can do this quickly if you know most of the cards you have.
  • If you do not know your cards then you may have no choice but to enter each one individually. There are several sites to help you with that.
  • I hope you are aware that the majority of cards are "commons" and are only worth a few cents each.
  • Ad

• Here are some sites to help with research.
  • www.wikihow.com/Value-Your-Pok%C3%A9mon-Cards
  • www.ranker.com/.../mariel-loveland
  • steemit.com/.../@calaber24p/my-in-depth-guide-on-how-to-correctly-value-your-pokemon-card-collection
  • shop.tcgplayer.com/.../pokemon

I would suggest you read your insurance policy closely and if there is something you do not understand you should maybe find someone to help you with your claim.