Inventory and Photograph Belongings for Insurance Claims

Photographing your possessions for future reference in case of a fire or natural disaster can be a great way to ensure you can claim losses on all of you belongings. This page has tips about how to inventory and photograph belongings for insurance claims.

Take frequent inventory of what you own. When you get a new appliance, vehicle, or equipment, take note of the vin or serial number. Put it in a safe place at your location and at a separate location, such as in your safety deposit box or with a trusted relative. Also, have a photo inventory updated yearly or as needed.

We had tornadoes Monday night. Most of the farms on the first 1/2 mile of our road are destroyed. 11 homes in the county are completely gone and numerous barns, with several million in damage. Now we are in the midst of replacing things and with the serial numbers and vin, we can easily trace the makes, models, and such for the insurance adjusters.

This is of one of our buildings. I can't feed my cows by tractor now, but I was prepared for a few days of weather so bad the tractor could not get out, that I had 50 small bales of hay to throw. I have used about 1/2 of those now. Hopefully the company will be here tomorrow to lift the barn off the tractor so I can feed big bales again.

We had a list, and photos from last fall, that showed what we had and where it was. It was very simple to go through the list and see what was missing and damaged (or in a tree...). I had stuff I could print off and hand to the adjuster.

5 More Solutions

Make a jewelry inventory photo album in order to identify your jewelry in case of loss or theft. Place the photographs in an album and store it with your documents your home office. In case of loss or theft of your jewelry, you can use your jewelry inventory album to assist you in recovering jewelry items.

A gold and gemstone ring on a woman's finger.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Create an inventory list and do a room to room video log of all your belongings. Leave out nothing of importance to you. Add a written report of where purchased, value, etc. Some insurance companies require detailed lists of what you are replacing before they settle with you.

When contemplating your homeowners or renters insurance, consider this idea to speed things along. Use your digital camera and take pictures of all four walls in each room, close ups of opened drawers and closets, bathroom cabinets, garage contents opened tool boxes, etc.

I recently got renters insurance. I thought it would be smart for my agent to have photos of the things in my home and to give him a CD with the shots on it.

A picture of many rings on two hands, on a black background.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Has this simple tip been shared before? Take your digital camera around the house and photograph everything you own. This is such an easy way to catalog your possessions for insurance purposes.

Budget & Finance Home InsuranceAugust 24, 2017
🌻
🎂
📓
😷
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf16871725.tip.html