Finding the Title of a Book

Category Books
Locating a book we read or owned years ago or trying to find one we have heard about without knowing the title can be a frustrating process. Starting with your local library can be a useful first step. This is a guide about finding the title of a book.

I had a book of fairy tales when I was a child and it finally fell apart. My mother threw it away one day and I would like to replace it. I do not know the title of it (sadly) and it has been 10 years since I have seen it. I purchased it at a yard sale. Now that I have children, I would like to read them stories from this book. There are many books out there that are good, but I want this particular book.

Some of the stories were, Boots and his Brothers, The Sea Maiden, The White Snake, Rapunzel, The Widow's Son, The Ass..Table..and Stick, The Princess Who Lived on a Glass Hill, Puss in Boots, and many others. If anyone could help me find the title and maybe more importantly, the Book I would sincerely appreciate it. I would like to have this particular one. Thanks everyone for your time!

Jamey from Chapel Hill, NC

Answers

By crazyliblady (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Thanks to one of the earlier posters about librarians. I am a librarian and I do so enjoy the hunt.

Try one of these. Each has some of the stories you asked about, but I was not able to find a single book with all of them in it. Maybe try to find them at your public library. If the library does not have them, try to find out if they can get them on interlibrary loan. There is actually a copy of the first one available in Bookmooch (http://www.bookmooch.com) if you use it.

Title: My princess treasury.
Published in Bath, England by Parragon, in 2004.
ISBN 1405436522

Title: Popular tales from the Norse.
Author: Peter Christen Asbjørnsen
Publisher: G. Routledge in London in 1900
Because this book is so old, there is no ISBN.

Has anyone heard of, or seen a little book; I do not know the title of the book per se, but inside of the book was a fashion-show luncheon and pageant. The title of the fashion show was "Fashions to Follow", written by Jane K. Priewe? Thirteen women of the bible were chosen, each representing a character trait and a color.

Example: Ruth, representing loyalty, wearing yellow.

Please help if you can. I bought the book back in the late 70s to early 80s.

Answers

Best Answer

Jane K. Priewe was a writer for Highlights magazine and was a member of the LDS church, writing for many of their publications. I would suggest finding an LDS Bookstore and seeing if they have any information.

I am trying to find old copies of a text book series from the 60s called "The _____ Built America" with the names of different immigrant groups (Irish, Italian, Jews) in the title. I may be wrong about "built", but the point of the books was to honor the contributions different immigrant groups made to our country in the 20th century. Thanks!

Answers

You could try Project Gutenberg here: www.gutenberg.org/

Thanks, Judy. It was a worthwhile suggestion, but--because I'm not certain about the titles of these books--I didn't find what I'm looking for.

I do appreciate your help. Dan

I have read several similar books but most were about immigrants coming to America and their trials and hardships.

Is it this series? ashp.cuny.edu/who-built-america-textbook

If so, there are some on Amazon.

I would do a search on "Google" put all the info. in on what you are looking for, usually it comes up with lots of sites to check out.