Five Hour Beef Stew

Category Stew
This delicious dutch oven five hour beef stew recipe would be the perfect dish to make on a cold winter day. Get baked beef stew recipes in this guide.

• 2 1/2 lbs. lean stew meat
  • 12 small onions
  • 6 carrots, cut in 1 inch pieces
  • 3 potatoes, cubed
  • 1 cup celery, cut in 1 inch pieces
  • 1 turnip or rutabaga, cubed
  • 1 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 cans tomato sauce with cheese (8 oz. size)
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 slice bread, cubed

Directions:

Brown meat and put all the ingredients in a large baking pan or dish with a tight lid. Bake at 250 degrees F for 5-6 hours. Do not lift lid while cooking.

By Robin from Washington, IA

It's starting to cool off in Iowa, especially in the evenings. This is a great fall/winter meal!

Ingredients

• 2 lb. beef chuck, cut in cubes
  • Ad

• 6 medium carrots, cut in chunks
  • 3 potatoes, cut in chunks
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 5 stalks celery, sliced
  • 2 1/2 cups stewed tomatoes (do not drain)
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. Minute Tapioca
  • salt and pepper, to taste

Directions

Place all ingredients in Dutch oven. Cover and bake for 5 hours at 250 degrees F. You can brown the beef first, if you want.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Answers:

5 Hour Stew

as a busy Mom and now a retired grandmother, I've used this recipe for years. Especially good for Sundays. I get all veggies and ingredients ready on Saturday, add with rest of ingredients on Sunday morning and put in the oven while we are at church.

I never brown the meat, but add beef bouillon and have a delicious stew ready for Sunday afternoon. We like either cornbread or sour dough bread along with the stew. Also gets better as a leftover . My daughter always begs for leftovers to take to work for her lunch. She has to "guard" it with her life when her co-workers smell the warmed stew. thanks for all your good ideas!! (02/14/2007)

By Gena Rae

5 Hour Stew

Robin, I have several tricks I use making beef stew and they work great, but I've never heard of using tapioca. This sounds really good and I will definitely try your recipe, with possibly a few mods. (I might try it 'by the book' first, and go from there.) A few things I always do with beef stew is use beer instead of water (because I dislike cooking with water unless I'm making stock), rub the meat pieces with crushed garlic before browning, and add a few dried celery flakes to the pot. Also if the stew needs to be thickened I always use Idahoan Instant Potato Flakes. I don't know how these tricks would work with the tapioca so it is probably best to leave them out the first time I try it. I presume the tapioca would eliminate the need for potato flakes, and it might not work too well with the beer. Anyway, thanks for the recipe! (02/14/2007)

By Alph

Five Hour Beef Stew

I have the same recipe only I think mine has tomato juice in it instead of the tomatoes. Very good either way, I am sure. Have not made it for quite sometime since my family is all gone. (10/20/2009)

By Laniegirl

Ingredients

• 1 slice white bread, broken up
  • 1 cup celery
  • 3 medium onions
  • 6 carrots
  • potatoes ( to suit)
  • 2 lb. cubed beef stew meat
  • 1 1/2 cup tomato juice
  • 3 Tbsp. Minute tapioca
  • 1/2 Tbsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • pepper, to taste

Directions

Mix all ingredients together raw. Bake in covered casserole for 5 hours in a 225 degree F oven.

By Robin from Washington, IA