Fluorescent Lights Not Working

My fluorescent light is not working. I replaced the 2 lights, but it is still not working. Only the ends of the bulbs flicker with light. I have verified that there is good power. What do you recommend?

By Jam from Phoenix, AZ

Answers:

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

You need a new ballast. (12/17/2009)

By A. Hastings7878

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

I don't know what you call it in your country. Here in Malta we call it a starter. Its a little plastic tube thingy about 2 inches long. Very cheap to buy from a hardware store and even easier to replace. Just look for it in your light fitting and you will see it. It pulls out and you put another in. (12/18/2009)

By cett

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

It could possibly the starter, about the size of a 35mm container. Or it could be the ballast. From your explanation I would look at the ballast being the issue. If it is the ballast you might just think about replacing the fixture, it could be cheaper than the cost to replace the ballast unit. The last ballast I had changed cost over $80 dollars at the local Home Depot hardware store. (12/18/2009)

By dwmoar

Fluorescent Lights Not Working

Try replacing the starter first. In my case that was always the reason and much less expensive to try that first. Any hardware store can help you and usually have any size in stock. (12/20/2009)

By Deeli