Fixing Fluorescent Lights

Category Electrical
This is a guide about fixing fluorescent lights. Before tossing out a fluorescent light that seems to be broken, try some of these tips to repair it.

This is a guide about fluorescent lights not working. Replacing the florescent bulbs in the fixture is the first thing to do, but sometimes the ballast needs to be replaced.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about fixing a fluorescent ceiling light. Fluorescent ceiling lights can go out for a number of reasons.

My kitchen fluorescent light would not come on. I replaced both tubes and it worked fine. I turned it off that night, and the next morning it would not come on again. I can take the tubes out and put them back in, and they will burn until I turn the light off, and then they will not come on again. Any idea what is wrong?

By Cahem from TX

Answers

Best Answer

Something similar happend to my fluorescent light when I bought my house and it was the ballast that needed to be replaced. Not sure if it is the same as a starter but once it was replaced, never had a problem again.

I have two fluorescent light fixtures in my kitchen. One fixture with 5 bulbs works. I replaced all the bulbs on the other fixture, but it still does not work. What is the problem?

By Amy

Answers

My only three thoughts.
1. Check to see if you are getting power to the switch and then the fixture.
2. Check the ballast. May need to replace.
3. Maybe easier to replace the fixture.

Go to:
http://www.natu  al/inffluor.html

helped me. i had an older florescent fixture that had a "starter".

Once I replaced the starter, my fixture worked just fine.

I had the same thing happen. My fixture was 30 years old. I had to replace the whole fixture, but it was not too expensive.

It does sound like it is the ballast. If that is the case it is cheaper to replace the fixture.

Anonymous

I also recommend changing the starter and especially before spending extra money for a new fixture. A starter is a small part that is very inexpensive. Go to a hardware store and ask to speak to someone who will explain how to change it. If the starter turns out to not be the problem you can always return it with it's original packaging.

I have a light fitting in the kitchen. A small red light appeared in the fitting and it stopped working. I changed the bulbs, but it is still not working. Any ideas please?

Answers

It could be a bad ballast.

We had that issue as well. If you have changed the bulbs and it is still not working, the next step is to change the ballast.

If that is not good, you may need a new fixture. Fortunately, they are not expensive.

You do not say the age of your light fixture but it could be a starter or a ballast. If it is an older fixture then it will have a starter which is much easier to replace. A newer fixture will not have a starter so the problem will most likely be the ballast.
It seems many people think it is easy and common knowledge on how to replace a ballast but I disagree. I have some links below that give clear instructions on how to troubleshoot a problem with a fluorescent light fixture. Also, take any part that needs replacing with you to the store so you will be sure to buy the exact same replacement part.
http://removean  -light-fixtures/

https://www.fam  -repair/view-all

When I turn the lamp on it takes 10-20 seconds for it to turn on. It seems like the outlet has only some of the power. There was a power strip plugged in the the outlet and hooked up to a fluorescent light that won't fully turn on.

Should I replace the outlet?

Answers

A little more trouble shooting may be required. Does the lamp turn on quickly at other receptacles? Does the fluorescent lamp work at other receptacles? If they do, consider have an electrician meter the voltage at your receptacle.