Foam Packing to Minimise Soap Scum

Soap scum can build up quickly in a large household. This attracts dirt and looks unsightly.

Next time you buy something and it comes packed with thin plastic foam, trim it to size and place it under your soap. The foam can be quickly rinsed under a tap when necessary. This also works with a dish sponge.

I have trimmed the corners off mine in a sort of vaguely feng shui manner.

Thanks for the money saving tip, I'll have to remember this.

I have long been an obsessive foam packing saver, now I know what I was saving it for!

Some people might not know that constant exposure to wet bars of soap, will in time, etch and dull that otherwise very durable enamel on bathroom fixtures.

ShirleyE, you have given us a low/no cost, and aesthetically pleasing solution to this potential problem. Thank you!

Feng Shui, hmmm? I think the last haircut I had was after the manner of Feng Shui.

It's a great idea, but I recently read an article about research that was done on the germs that collect on bar soap. I still use bar soap in my shower, and will use your idea. However, by the sinks, where multiple people wash their hands, I like an expensive, liquid pump soap.

I also have a roll of paper towels on the counter for drying their hands, instead of using the same hand towel. It may sound a little picky, but after being a food safety instructor, I became more aware of how germs are transmitted. Children and the elderly seem to be affected the most by micro-organisms.