Freezing Milk

When my kids were growing up, they drank a whale of a lot of milk. At times, I thought we should get their very own cow just to satisfy supply and demand. I was always hearing "Mom, we're out of milk".

Now, the kids are gone with their own families and I don't drink milk like I used to. Recently I realized that I just didn't need to buy quarts of milk that would eventually go sour, even the ultra pasteurized kind.
These days, I buy milk in the small 16 oz. bottles. I buy 2 or 3 at a time and when I get home I put them in the freezer and open as needed for cereal, cooking, baking, etc.

To use, take out of freezer and thaw for 1 to 2 hours or so, then shake until ice crystals almost disappear.

Years ago, milk didn't freeze very well, but now with ultra pasteurization process, the cream is more thoroughly combined with the milk and does not separate easily, so frozen milk is no longer "grainy" as it used to be. You can also recycle the plastic container and save product and money at the same time.

By sue123 from Oroville, CA