Freezing Milk

Is milk freezable? If so, what can you freeze it in and how long does it last in the freezer?

By Molly from LA, CA

Answers:

Freezing Milk

If you freeze milk it separates. Makes it pretty nasty when it thaws. (05/06/2010)

By Suntydt

Freezing Milk

Yes, milk freezes fine. I freeze milk all the time in its original plastic container. You will need to loosen the cap to the milk jug and remove some of the milk before freezing because it will expand once fully frozen and needs the air space. You don't want the milk plastic container to end up bulging once frozen.

When you are ready to thaw the milk, be sure to thaw it in the refrigerator. I always place a cookie sheet under the thawing milk to prevent condensation from gathering on the fridge shelf. Shake the milk once it has pretty well thawed and you will have no problems. I have frozen milk for about 6 wks. and it has tasted fine. I am unable to state how long milk should remain frozen, but 6 wks. has proven fine in my experience. You can always freeze milk in smaller plastic containers. This is a good idea and prevents having a single large container (gallon, half gallon) to defrost. (05/06/2010)

By lovetobake

Freezing Milk

I hate the taste of frozen milk. If you can get fresh milk easily there is no reason to freeze it. Milk without growth hormones and antibiotics is available everywhere now and I strongly recommend everyone to be using it. (05/07/2010)

By Ann

Freezing Milk

When my grandmother lived alone, she would buy the 1/2 gallon milk when it was on sale and then freeze all, but one. When she was ready for a new one, she would thaw it in the fridge and the shake it vigorously before opening and before each use. She had it on her cereal every day and with her meals. She had been raised on a farm so she knew the taste of fresh milk. The idea to freeze it was hers, and I never heard her complain. (05/07/2010)

By oldlinda

Freezing Milk

Yes, you can and I do it all the time. If it has fat in it you will need to shake it like the others on here have said. I buy skim milk. I buy several gallons and I pour out part of each into a clean 1/2 gallon jug. Then I freeze all of them. I have never had a problem with the taste. Sure beats having to run to the store all the time! I really don't know how long it can remain frozen without a problem. So far I have had mine froze up to 2 months without a problem, and that is with it in my chest type freezer. (05/10/2010)

By kerly87