Freezing Milk

Category Dairy
Milk prices fluctuate routinely, buying it on sale and freezing some can save you money. This is a guide about freezing milk.

To use up milk or cream when it is nearing the expiration date, I will freeze into ice cubes. I then will pop them out and place into a freezer bag for later use. When I have a recipe that calls for milk, I will pull out what I need and thaw in the microwave on defrost. Works like a charm! Approximate measurements: 1 cube = 3 Tablespoons, 3 cubes = 1/2 cup, 6 cubes = 1 cup, etc.

By Ashley from Ephrata, PA

Freezing Sour Milk. My kids eat a lot of dairy, but it does happen that we find that a bag of milk, cottage cheese, or yogurt will be sitting in our fridge past its expiration date. . .

Since 2% milk can be frozen; can it be frozen in a plastic container and for how long? Thank you.

By Roseann from GA

Answers

You can freeze the milk in its container but i recommend that you put it in a stronger plastic. It can be frozen just as long as all frozen foods just remember when you pull it out put it in the fridge to thaw.

I have done this successully. You have to pour some of the milk out and store that in another container to give room for expansion.

The milk will look yellow when you take it out of the freezer to thaw, but it will turn white again. Shake it well before you use it each time thereafter.

I routinely freeze milk in the plastic containers. I pour out enough to prevent the plastic splitting when it freezes. I've kept all grades of milk this way for months with no problems. Remember to shake the container several times as it defrosts.

Yes, I used to do this for years when my children were little and it was easier to freeze 2 weeks supply than run out for milk couple times a week for milk.

When we freeze milk, we just put the unopened gallon jug of it in the freezer. We like to have that factory seal still sealed. I think it keeps better that way. I have never had a gallon of the milk expand to the point where it broke the seal or the plastic jug.

You can really save a lot by freezing milk. Especially if you buy it when it is on sale.

Coleen

I have been freezing milk for years. I have a couple of Tupperware containers that I use. I do use half gallon size containers that milk comes in. I do this because of the price of milk. And if I go on A trip I always have milk when I come home. I also buy a quart size of half-and-half. I freeze it also

We do the same thing - freezing unopened jugs of milk - and have been doing so for years with no problem. A great thawing tip I read from a homesteader was to submerge the frozen, unopened jug of milk in a 3-gallon bucket of very hot water for one hour, and then immediately refrigerate.

(There will still be a frozen core.) Shake well before opening. This completely eliminates that "grainy" consistency you'll otherwise get with frozen/thawed milk. The taste and consistency is exactly like fresh milk and it stays good for 10-14 days. I've never had any issues doing this and I've done it for years.

I bought milk with 3 bags in one larger bag. I put one in my milk jug and froze the other 2 in the freezer. The bags are made of plastic. Is this OK or is it harmful to drink after the milk has been in the freezer?

By Nancy Maria

Answers

No it is not harmful I do it all the time.I just find it tastes more watery.

Can we freeze and refreeze UHT milk? If yes, how long can we keep it frozen?

By ferdie from UK, Carmarthenshire

Answers

Anonymous

If you're talking about Ultra High Temperature (UHT) pasteurized milk you don't need to freeze it because it will stay fresh in a cabinet for up to nine months. Also, if you do freeze it the fluid is going to expand and if that ends up breaking a package seal (which it most likely will) there's no guarantee it will keep it's flavor quality and safety.

How many months can you keep milk frozen?

By Josie

When my kids were younger, we went through a lot of milk. I started to buy extra gallons, so I wouldn't have to run to the store just for milk during the week, and freeze them. When we got to half a gallon, I would take a gallon out of the freezer and put in fridge. The milk thaws just fine in fridge. It nice and cold and tastes great, just like fresh.

By xintexas from San Antonio, TX

Can you freeze lactose free milk?

By Charlene J. Santagata-Abbott from RI

Is milk freezable? If so, what can you freeze it in and how long does it last in the freezer?

By Molly Ringer from LA, CA

Answers:

Freezing Milk

If you freeze milk it separates. Makes it pretty nasty when it thaws. (05/06/2010)

By Suntydt

Freezing Milk

Yes, milk freezes fine. I freeze milk all the time in its original plastic container. You will need to loosen the cap to the milk jug and remove some of the milk before freezing because it will expand once fully frozen and needs the air space. You don't want the milk plastic container to end up bulging once frozen.

When you are ready to thaw the milk, be sure to thaw it in the refrigerator. I always place a cookie sheet under the thawing milk to prevent condensation from gathering on the fridge shelf. Shake the milk once it has pretty well thawed and you will have no problems. I have frozen milk for about 6 wks. and it has tasted fine. I am unable to state how long milk should remain frozen, but 6 wks. has proven fine in my experience. You can always freeze milk in smaller plastic containers. This is a good idea and prevents having a single large container (gallon, half gallon) to defrost. (05/06/2010)

By susieq

Freezing Milk

I hate the taste of frozen milk. If you can get fresh milk easily there is no reason to freeze it. Milk without growth hormones and antibiotics is available everywhere now and I strongly recommend everyone to be using it. (05/07/2010)

By Lilac

Freezing Milk

When my grandmother lived alone, she would buy the 1/2 gallon milk when it was on sale and then freeze all, but one. When she was ready for a new one, she would thaw it in the fridge and the shake it vigorously before opening and before each use. She had it on her cereal every day and with her meals. She had been raised on a farm so she knew the taste of fresh milk. The idea to freeze it was hers, and I never heard her complain. (05/07/2010)

By Linda Kennedy

Freezing Milk

Yes, you can and I do it all the time. If it has fat in it you will need to shake it like the others on here have said. I buy skim milk. I buy several gallons and I pour out part of each into a clean 1/2 gallon jug. Then I freeze all of them. I have never had a problem with the taste. Sure beats having to run to the store all the time! I really don't know how long it can remain frozen without a problem. So far I have had mine froze up to 2 months without a problem, and that is with it in my chest type freezer. (05/10/2010)

By kerly87

When my kids were growing up, they drank a whale of a lot of milk. At times, I thought we should get their very own cow just to satisfy supply and demand.

Can you freeze milk? Can whole milk be frozen if I leave some head space?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.