FrittataEggs

Fresh Herb Frittata (Kuku Sabzi)

This is a delicious traditional Persian fresh herb frittata that my family has been making for decades, probably centuries. It's got fewer eggs than the usual frittata, more herbs, nuts, and spices, making it sturdy. You can actually slice it up and pick them up to eat by hand. These are excellent warm out the pan, but even better cold (and leftover)! I love these for summertime outdoor parties. My favourite way to eat them is in pita bread with Greek yogurt slathered on.

If you don't have barberries, you can use dried cranberries. There is a link below to my spice mix that is used in this recipe, but if you'd like a quick-fix, use 1/2 tsp of cumin powder and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon powder.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 6 servings

Link: My Persian Spice Mix Recipe

1. Remove herb stems and wash. Dry completely. Chop them very fine or use a food processor, but do not process to a paste. Mix all the ingredients (except for the cooking oil) together in a big bowl, but add the baking soda in last. Stir well.
  2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat, so it's very hot but not smoking.
  3. Pour in the herb and egg mixture. Use a spatula to evenly distribute and press down gently. Switch heat to low and cover with a lid.
  4. Cook until it firms up enough to be able to flip, about 5-7 minutes.
  5. When the surface and edges firm up, use a spatula to cut it into 4 segments.
  6. Carefully flip over each quarter. Continue to cook uncovered for 5-7 minutes over very low heat. Cut into smaller wedges and serve.