Fridge Milk Tart Recipe

Category Tarts
Try this no bake cookie crumb and custard tart. It is delicious and may likely become a family or personal favorite. The recipe follows.

One of my fondest childhood memories was when my mom, my sisters and I prepared baked goodies for Christmas. My favorite was when we made melktert (milk tart). Melktert is a famous South African delicacy, part of our food heritage.

Then disaster struck. Due to health concerns I was forced to go gluten-free. No more melktert for Christmas!

The restoration of the tradition came for me in the form of a recipe I discovered on Facebook last week. It was not a gluten-free version, but it was possible to adjust it without losing any taste. Oh boy, it was almost as if I was instantly transported back in time!

I hope you will enjoy this recipe as much as I did!

Total Time: 40 minutes, and the time to set in fridge

Yield: one milk tart

Source: Adjusted from a recipe I discovered on Facebook

• 1 pkg (400g*) gluten free cookies (I used a packet of Gullón Gluten-free Maria cookies)
  • 1/4 cup melted butter
  • 1 l (34 oz) milk
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 can (385g) condensed milk
  • 1 Tbsp (heaping) custard powder
  • 2 Tbsp corn starch
  • cinnamon

*Approx. 14 oz.

1. Crush half of cookies in a bowl.
  2. Melt the butter and mix the melted butter with the crumbed cookies.
  3. Pour the cookie mixture into a lightly greased pie dish with a capacity of 1.8 liters. Cover the whole bottom of the dish and compact the crumbs. Note: Do not cover the sides of the pie dish.
  4. Put the pie dish into the fridge.
  5. Crush the rest of the cookies and keep it separate.
  6. Mix the custard powder, corn starch, sugar and egg together.
  7. Advertisement

8. In a pot, use a wooden spoon to mix the milk and condensed milk, and while stirring occasionally, bring it to a boil.
  9. Remove the pot from the stove. Trickle the egg mixture into the pot, stirring continuously.
  10. Over a low heat and while continuously stirring, allow the combined mixture to thicken. Once it reaches boiling point again, it should be thick enough.
  11. Spoon half of the combined mixture over the cookie crust.
  12. Add a layer of cookie crumbs to the pie dish. Note: Leave about three tablespoons of crumbs for the top layer.
  13. Spoon the rest of the mixture over the cookies.
  14. Add crumbs and cinnamon to the top of the tart.
  15. Advertisement

16. Place in fridge until it has completely cooled down and has set.

Thanks for sharing your tradition!

Looks delicious!

Looks yummy, I will have to try this one.

It's one in the morning and I'm jonesing for a slice! This weekend, this weekend. Thank you for sharing!

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Desserts TartsFebruary 24, 2020
🍀
🌻
🐰