Frozen Chocolate Mousse Tart
Light and refreshing! Perfect for summer.
Total Time: 30 minutes, plus freezing time
Yield: 6-8 servings
Source: King Arthur Flour
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, crushed finely
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp Vietnamese cinnamon (stronger and sweeter than others, in my opinion)
- 1 7/8 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup (9 oz.) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup caramels, chopped
- 2 - 4 tsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the crust: blend the ingredients and pat into and up the sides of a 9" tart pan. Freeze for 15 minutes, then bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are a little browned. Let it cool while you make the filling.
- Make the filling: heat the cream in a saucepan until steaming. Pour 1 cup of the cream into a bowl with the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Brush 1/2 cup of this mixture onto the inside of the cracker crust and refrigerate. This step keeps the filling from seeping through and avoids a soggy crust.
- Gradually stir the remaining cream into the remaining chocolate mixture. Stir into completely smooth and cover the bowl. Chill overnight.
- The next day, whip the filling until stiff peaks form. Spoon into the crust, smooth it out, cover and freeze until you are ready to serve. I did this a few days before.
- Make the topping: on the day you want to serve the tart, heat the caramel and the cream over low heat, whisking until it is smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Make the garnish: grease a baking sheet with butter. Sprinkle nuts with salt. Spread nuts on top of the butter.
- Bake garnish in preheated 300 degree F oven for 8-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Remove the nuts and cool to room temperature.
- To serve: 1/2 hour before you want to serve, take the tart out of the freezer and refrigerate. Put the caramel sauce on and sprinkle with the nuts.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!