Frozen Chocolate Mousse Tart
A baked chocolate crust that becomes a delicious frozen mousse. It is light and refreshing for a summer dessert.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Light and refreshing! Perfect for summer.
Total Time: 30 minutes, plus freezing time
Yield: 6-8 servings
Source: King Arthur Flour
- 1 1/4 cup graham cracker crumbs, crushed finely
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp melted butter
- 1/2 tsp Vietnamese cinnamon (stronger and sweeter than others, in my opinion)
- 1 7/8 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cup (9 oz.) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/4 cup caramels, chopped
- 2 - 4 tsp heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Make the crust: blend the ingredients and pat into and up the sides of a 9" tart pan. Freeze for 15 minutes, then bake for 8-10 minutes or until edges are a little browned. Let it cool while you make the filling.
- Make the filling: heat the cream in a saucepan until steaming. Pour 1 cup of the cream into a bowl with the chocolate and stir until smooth.
- Brush 1/2 cup of this mixture onto the inside of the cracker crust and refrigerate. This step keeps the filling from seeping through and avoids a soggy crust.
- Gradually stir the remaining cream into the remaining chocolate mixture. Stir into completely smooth and cover the bowl. Chill overnight.
- The next day, whip the filling until stiff peaks form. Spoon into the crust, smooth it out, cover and freeze until you are ready to serve. I did this a few days before.
- Make the topping: on the day you want to serve the tart, heat the caramel and the cream over low heat, whisking until it is smooth. Cool to room temperature.
- Make the garnish: grease a baking sheet with butter. Sprinkle nuts with salt. Spread nuts on top of the butter.
- Bake garnish in preheated 300 degree F oven for 8-10 minutes, stirring every few minutes. Remove the nuts and cool to room temperature.
- To serve: 1/2 hour before you want to serve, take the tart out of the freezer and refrigerate. Put the caramel sauce on and sprinkle with the nuts.