GFCI Outlet Keeps Tripping

I have a toaster oven plugged into one of several GFIC outlets in my kitchen. Yesterday we noticed the oven was not working and the GFIC reset button had tripped. Every time I reset the GFIC and plug in the oven it trips. If I plug the oven in a non GFIC outlet in the kitchen it works fine. I have had the toaster oven for 6 months with no problems. Is the GFIC bad? Any suggestions. Thank you.

By Rodney from NJ

Answers:

GFCI Outlet Keeps Tripping

Have you tried unplugging and/or not using whatever else might be plugged in to the GFI outlet when using the toaster oven? You might simply be overloading the outlet. The beauty of the GFI's is that they know to shut down when overloaded to prevent an electrical fire (and to keep you from getting an electrical shock near water). Have you tried plugging it in to a different GFI outlet (including the bathroom GFI)? If the same thing happens in other GFI's then it's a defective toaster. If it only happens in that one particular GFI then it is the outlet that's bad. (12/09/2010)

By Deeli

GFCI Outlet Keeps Tripping

I exchanged the toaster and it works. So the toaster was bad. Thank you. (12/10/2010)

By rodney361

GFCI Outlet Keeps Tripping

Thank you so much, Rodney, for posting it was the toaster! So many people don't bother to let us know the outcome. Glad to know yours was simple and all is well now :-) (12/13/2010)

By Deeli