To Top

Garnishing Disability for Child Support

My disability is being garnished for child support. I need to know by law, can they do that? I am experiencing extreme hardship with little monies to see me through the rest of the month.


By Janet from CA


Garnishing Disability for Child Support

If you don't pay child support, who is supposed to do it. Income is income and if you have a child you deserve to pay. (09/23/2010)

By redhatterb

Garnishing Disability for Child Support

I can only tell you my experience. When I applied for SSD I told them I payed child support, $900 a month. I was granted an additional amount of money through my SSD that was sent directly to my ex. It was not the total amount, but it helped. From my SSD I only had to pay $291 a month. I'm sure if I didn't pay it my ex could garnish my SSD. Just a bit of info in case you never talked to social services about your child support payments. (09/23/2010)

By Suntydt

Garnishing Disability for Child Support

I am a firm believer in supporting one's children. Having said that let me tell you that the way the laws are written make it impossible to get out from under the bill once your name is in the system. One of my sons has a son who is 24, has served in both Iraq and Afghanistan in the Army. My son is a machinist so has had periods over the years when he would be out of work. He is still having money taken out of his payroll check for interest accrued when he wasn't able to pay. Mind you, his son is 24 and has a toddler. It looks like my son will go to his grave paying child support. (09/24/2010)

By MartyD

Garnishing Disability for Child Support

If the DA's office has received notice that you are delinquent in child support they can garnish any incoming money. They can also suspend your driver's license and any professional licenses you have in the state. You may be experiencing hardship, but what about the child and mother. They are likely experiencing hardship as well through no fault of their own. Get another job if necessary and support the child you made. (09/25/2010)

By lindal

Garnishing Disability for Child Support

Your child should also be receiving a check from SSD; it does not matter that you are no longer together with your child's other parent. A simple phone call to SS office should take care of that.


The amount of child support is not written in stone, it can be changed according to your circumstances. Unfortunately, you will have to hire an attorney to get your child support payment amount rectified through the courts. It can be changed depending on the amount of money you do receive each month. You are usually required to pay your child a percentage of the money you get in each month. If the judge sees the amount you are living on as minimal, he may accept the amount that SSD pays your child as full payment.

You will however, be responsible for full payment, including late payments, of everything owed until it goes through the courts.

Hope all works out for both you and your child/children. (09/26/2010)

By susanmajp

Garnishing Disability for Child Support

I am sorry that I am not being sympathetic here, but what about the hardships your child and custodial parent have had to and continue to endure? This is your child and children come first and the fact that you speak of garnishment means this situation has been going on for a very, very long time. :-( And, yes, the garnishment is legal because it's a court ordered judgment to protect the child you brought in to this world!

Do take the advice of another poster to request supplemental SSI for your child, but you will still owe the back and newer adjusted child support. (09/26/2010)

By Deeli

Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

Related Content
In This Guide
Garnishing Disability for Child Support
Garnishing Disability for Child Support
December 9, 2010
A gavel and money.
Is Stepparent Responsible for Child Support?
Writing a child support check.
Paying Back Child Support
A disabled student studying in a wheelchair.
Child Support for a Child Receiving Disability
An upset mom burying her face in her hands.
Collecting Back Child Support if Parent is Deceased
Back to School Ideas!
Summer Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/08/19 09:25:08 in 655 msecs. ⛅️️
Loading Something Awesome!