Getting Rid of Ants Safely

Is there a safe home remedy to get rid of a lot of ants? It has to be safe enough for kids and pets.

By Cheryl

Best Answer

Yes, simple, cheap and safe! Vinegar. I had a terrible infestation of ants. I tried everything before using the vinegar which was the only thing that worked. I put it full strength in spray bottle and sprayed everything. If I saw an ant I sprayed it with the vinegar. They are gone.

Anonymous

Thank you!

Best Answer

Squirt bottle. About 90% karo syrup. Add about 10% 20 Mule team borax. Warm for a very short time to dissolve. Squirt in cracks and areas where ants are near. Worker ants will eat it all and carry back to nest sometimes taking a week.

Queens die. Queens can live 20 years and produce many more queens. If you let the workers eat and carry back to nest the whole colony is then gone. If you kill just a line of workers, queen just makes more workers. Safe. Not a poison. You don't want kids, pets or wildlife ingesting it.

They hate cinnamon, and I have heard they really hate chalk, too. If you Google Ant Control you will probably find a great deal of advice. This one looked promising...
http://smallnot  ontrol-remedies/
Good luck. PBP

This is a recipe for getting rid of those pesky ants that come every spring and summer. Mix up the solution, pack cotton balls in a jar cover, put the solution on and they will be gone.

1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons boric acid
3 cups warm water

Directions:
1. Mix the sugar and boric acid well.
2. Add the warm water slowly, mixing all the while so it won't be too lumpy.
3. Store in a jar until ready to use.
4. When ready to use, put cotton into the top of a jar lid to fill it and then saturate the cotton to the top.
5. Place it in the location where it is needed.
6. Note: This solution will keep for a long while. A good technique is to drip a drop or two over the edge of the lid to rest on the counter so the ants will find the solution sooner. It sometimes takes a little while for them to find it, but find it they will. When they do, do not disturb them as they drink. They will hang over the edge of the lid and drink for a while and then take it back to the nest killing the colony. Almost overnight they will be gone.

Facebook Page: A.J. Plumbing

I have no idea how big the area is where the ants are. I loved using chalk it is safe,easy to use ,as long as you know the areas they come it from works great. You just put chalk lines around window sills,doorway entrances,any dog or pet dishes,sinks or bathtub etc. Draw line around areas or in front of them ants will not cross over the line. I read this, tried it and wrote a post about it. I was amazed how well it worked.

One feedback said "was the way ants take it air, the chalk kills them.." After a rain, it is so easy to reapply if put where it gets washed away. When my friends daughter does this her son finds it fun to help.

Good luck on this and if nothing else put down a dish where ants would run too,draw a line around it and watch how they flee. You'll be amazed ,too.

Heard this tip on CBC (Canadian Broadcasting) mix equal amounts of baking soda and powdered sugar. Put in plastic lids or some kind of low sided dish. Put lid/dish on/in the ant trail or where you see them. They will eat this mixture and or haul it back to their nests. They like the sugar but the baking soda will cause their stomachs to explode. There is no danger to children or pets with this mixture. It worked for me.

Baby powder works great! Dollar store brands are fine.

I use the powdered carpet refreshner. They hate it and it smells gr8! Sprinkle it where U see them crawling...

You can use the cereal Grit in dry form, sprinkle the Grit, or Cream of Wheat, or even Corn Meal, around where you see the ants! They will carry it back to the hive and when they eat the cereal it will expand the the hive is gone! Safe for pets and children! As it is not poison! I do this once a year in the spring!