Natural Ant Deterrents

My neighbor had a huge pile of cement ants. She used a mix of 50/50 baking soda and powered sugar. They were gone the next day. I thought the sugar would attract them but it worked.

I have used soapy water as well. Ants don't like peppermint either, use oil not candy.

More Solutions

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 124 Posts

Ant killer: Save your orange peels! Mix up equal parts of peels and water in a blender, pour over the ants nest or transfer to a pump-spray bottle to mark a line around your property.

My parents lived in Africa and had an infestation of army ants. A local boy gave my mother some brilliant advice; put ash in a ring around the house.

The ants will be tricked into thinking there is a forest fire.

To get rid of ants, sprinkle wood ashes or add 1 Tbsp. ground garlic to 1 litre of water and spray.

21 Questions

Is there a safe home remedy to get rid of a lot of ants? It has to be safe enough for kids and pets.

By Cheryl

Answers

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 112 Feedbacks
Best Answer

Yes, simple, cheap and safe! Vinegar. I had a terrible infestation of ants. I tried everything before using the vinegar which was the only thing that worked.

I put it full strength in spray bottle and sprayed everything. If I saw an ant I sprayed it with the vinegar. They are gone.

Answer this Question

I am having a terrible time with ants this year. What chemicals or natural products have you used to kill them?

By Lou

Answers

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 205 Posts
Best Answer

There is a product that can be found at Wal Mart, Target, KMart, or any hardware store. It's called Terro. It comes in a small 2 oz (or so) bottle.

Here's what you do. You watch and find out the path that the ants travel. Then you take a small piece of paper or cardboard maybe 1 inch square or so. Put one drop only on the paper and place it in the line of travel of the ants. It will attract the ants, they will eat it and get it on their feet and carry it back to the nest. It takes approximately 12-24 hours to work. Depending on the size problem you have, you will be ant-free in 1-2 days.

I've read many many reviews of this product, and use it myself when they invade my home, and have yet to hear of anyone who didn't have success with it.

Best Answer

Sweet-n-Low...that's right, Sweet-n-Low. Here in Texas we get ant piles in the yard every year, sometimes several times a year. Open up a packet or two or three (depending on how large the pile is) and sprinkle it on and around the ant pile. It is tracked back in to the source and in a day or so all the ants are gone. We have been doing this now for several years.

Source: My brother-in-law.

Margaret fromDenton, Texas

Best Answer

Use cornstarch, the ants fill up on it, it expands in their stomach and the rest (and the ant) is history.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 102 Feedbacks
Best Answer

Kill the whole nest as queenie can produce many more queens and queens live for up to 20 years. About 10% 20 mule team borax warmed just a little in a squirt bottle with Karo syrup.

Put a squirt here and there but never where an animal can lick it as it is attractive. Ants carry it back to the nest and the whole nest is destroyed.

Answer this Question

Is there an ant control that I can mix myself?

By chuck from CO

Answers

By Marina (Guest Post)
Best Answer

Hi, here's a recipe i use:

10ml Eucalyptus Essential Oil
5ml Rose Essential Oil
5ml Lemongrass Essential Oil
80ml Water

Mix everthing together and shake well before using. You can also replace water with 130ml Virgin Coconut Oil if you plan on applying this to your body.

Bronze Request Medal for All Time! 65 Requests
Best Answer

Somewhere on this site some one recommended Sweet N Low.

Just open a bunch of packets by your ants and watch them eat up. They take it back to the nest and die, somehow.

I'm experimenting right now with powdered meat tenderizer the kind with papain in it. Using it the same way as above, I'm thinking that the papain will destroy their bodies. Gee, I sound grusome!

Good luck. There are so many ideas for your problem on this site, check it out!

Best Answer

About 10% 20 Mule Team Borax in Karo syrup warmed for few seconds, just long enough for it to dissolve. Squirt between cracks or put in places where pets or wildlife will not be able to lick. Workers carry it back to nest and the colony is destroyed. Queen and all. Queens live for up to 20 years and produce lots of other queens for new colonies. This method takes up to a week but is very effective.

Silver Feedback Medal for All Time! 337 Feedbacks
Best Answer

I use diatomacaeous earth, which is a natural product. It is not homemade, but it is not harmful to people or pets or wildlife and is not a poison. It kills them by shredding their exoskeleton. The brand I use is Insectigone Ant Killer. I have only ever used it outdoors. It may take several applications. It is safe for indoors, as well.

Answer this Question

What is a natural way to get rid of ants?

By M

Answer this Question

How to get rid small house ants without chemicals?

By Dogmom from Chicago

Answers

Best Answer

Borax, sugar, and water in a small lid. Equal amounts of borax and sugar and just enough water to disolve. Set along edges where they like to travel. They take it back to the next. After about three days, you not see any more for a while.

Best Answer

Grits! They take the grits back to the nest and when eaten, it will swell in their stomachs and kill them. Good for ant beds. Pour all over the ant bed. If it is the teeny sugar ants, meal will work.

Answer this Question

Do any of the non poison remedies work for getting rid of black ants?

By Eunice P.

Answer this Question

Our home is overcome with ants. We have children and don't want to use heavy insecticides. What can we use to get rid of them?

By happy sewer from NC

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 277 Posts

Looking for the post about getting rid of ants using peanut butter, sugar and 1 other ingredient.

Answers

Was it borax?

Regular chalk can be used to temporarily deter ants. A chalk line will discourage ants from crossing and can disrupt the scent line they follow back to food sources discovered by their scouts. They will seek or take advantage of a break in the line so it is not foolproof. This is a page about using chalk to deter ants.

Colorful pieces of chalk on white background

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 2

Fresh dryer sheets to soften clothes and linens are an effective fragrant deterrent for a variety of insects. This is a page about use fabric softener sheets to deter ants.

Closeup of an ant.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJuly 14, 2014
🎂
💘
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Natural-Ant-Deterrents.html