Homemade Ant Killer

How can I make ant killer spray using household products?

By Chad from Sacramento CA

Best Answer

I tried nearly every product on the market to get rid of ants that made hills in cracks on my garage floor. The ants actually caused my garage floor to heave because they burrowed deep into the cracks and made hills. Finally, I discovered that cinnamon was a miracle. I sprinkled it heavily on the hills. Ants were gone completely in about 3 weeks, but definitely saw a difference in one week. I repeated every 2 months during summer. Then only needed it twice a year for the next year and now I use it once a year as a preventive. Plus the garage smells great! This is the best thing ever. Worked on red ants and black ants that I know of. Make sure you know where they are coming from and sprinkle there.

In desperation, I tried the cinnamon yesterday around the perimeter of my porch. It worked like a charm! Within a couple hours, they were totally gone from the front porch. The two lines we had watched entering we actually watched turning around and heading the other way!

Best Answer

Cornmeal sprinkled on the mounds works great. They carry it back to the mound, eat it, it swells in their stomachs and they die. Just another option that really works.

Best Answer

Artificial sweeteners are fantastic ant killers- in fact, that's what the original intent was, when they were discovered (completely by accident- yeah, I'm serious, look it up!) to be sweet in flavor. Pour a few packets of the generic version of the stuff in the areas that the ants are frequenting, and watch 'em disappear. I've had great luck with both the kind that comes in the pink, and the blue, packets (aspartame and saccharine). It's cheap, it works, and it won't kill your pets or your kids. At least, unless they eat a whole box of the stuff. Good luck! :o)

Best Answer

When we lived in Texas, I discovered that soapy water was the most effective tool against fire ant mounds. I used one gallon (recycled milk jug) of hot water and added about a teaspoon of dish liquid. Pour over the mound and it will be gone within 24 hours!

For indoors, I just wipe up lines of ants with a soapy dish cloth, then find the source and - you guessed it - give them all a soapy bath!

These are great homemade options for those who dislike using premixed pest control.

Things You"ll Need:

1 Teaspoon Boric Acid

1 Teaspoon Bleach

1 Teaspoon Ammonia or Window Cleaner

6 Tablespoons Sugar

2 Cups Super Hot Water

Cotton Balls

Resealable Disposable Type Container

Oatmeal or Grits

Boric Acid Solution - Combine a small amount of boric acid, sugar and hot water in a spray bottle and swirl mixing thoroughly. Boric Acid can be purchased at any discount retailer ,under the name Borax. Make sure to keep this away from pets or children as it is hazardous. This is a good option for long term control.

Bleach Solution - Combine a small amount of bleach with hot water in a spray bottle and swirl mixing thoroughly. Make sure to keep this away from pets or children as it is hazardous. This is a good option for long term control. Using the name brands, like Clorox, does not add any additional killing power.

Ammonia - Spray Window cleaner liberally and watch them stop in their tracks, dead. This is a good option for short term control. It will have to be reapplied to be effective as the ants appear.

Oatmeal or Grits - Leave a few pieces of instant oatmeal or grits (some sort of water absorbing food) out where the ants are appearing. Get it as close to the nest as possible. The ant will take it back to the nest and eat it. Once eaten the food expands essentially popping the bug. Nice visual huh? Cruel but effective and non toxic. This option has to be applied frequently.

Now, if you don't want to kill the ants, but just want to keep them away from a particular area like a garden etc place a few drops of peppermint essential oil in a spray bottle and fill with water. Spray this generously around the area but try to avoid the plants themselves. Good luck.

Terro. It comes in a small orange box for about $2.00. I had ants bad last year and tried everything. Finally I found this at the grocery store and it works. The little black ants were in my bathroom around the tub.I put a few drops on the cards provided and the ants all gathered around and ate it and they take it back to the nest where it kills them all. After doing this for a few days the ants disappeared and have not returned. It works outside also. I put a card where they were going up the foundation and in a few days they were gone, however you have to keep checking as they will move to another location. The ants are trying to find water/food so they don't give up easy.

Get rid of any bushes, vines, etc around the house that they can climb on, very important! Follow the trail back to where they are coming from and you will find the nest.

mix some dishwashing liquids soap in a spray bottle of water and it kills them instantly

Ants on the wall of a house.
Homemade Ant Killer Recipes
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsMarch 26, 2009
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
Homemade Weed Killer Recipes
A home with lots of trees and bushes.
Homemade Root Killer
Ant Hill in Forest
Getting Rid of Ant Hills
ants eating bait
Homemade Ant Bait Recipes
🎉
🎄