AntsPest Control

Getting Rid of Ants Without Poison

I have had great success this year with using cinnamon on my kitchen counter and windowsill to keep the sugar ants at bay. So when I found ants congregating near my garage wall, I knew just what to do. I took this series of photos to show how effective the cinnamon is.

We had recently moved a fridge and there was some leftover gunk underneath that the ants found. There were hundreds of them feasting. I went and grabbed my Costco sized spice bottle and then covered them with a heavy coating of cinnamon. Immediately, the ants scatter. They do not like the cinnamon at all. Within a few minutes, they were gone. I'll reapply cinnamon if I see any places where the ants are still getting through. It is non-toxic and frugal.

I have seen other people recommend using baby powder or black pepper for a similar result. Does anyone have any experience with other non-toxic deterrants? Please share it with us in the feedback below.

Source: A recent tip on ThriftyFun :)

Link: http://www.thriftyfun.com/Cinnamon-to-Deter-Ants.html

Top Comment

Another way to get rid of ants is use baking soda sprinkled around their trails. They pick it up on the little feet, carry it back to their nests where they eat it and "pop" goes their stomach when it hits stomach acid. Heard that trick on Canadian Public Radio years ago and yes it works.

Top Comment

I have found that wiping/polishing the sink area (where I lean against to do the dishes) with a generous amount of olive oil or vegetable oil repels and kills them. It also makes for a beautiful shine after I wipe it off.

Top Comment

I use vinegar with salt to spray them and that kills them. It's eco friendly. You can use in your kitchen without worry of it getting in your food. Spray your garbage (in the garbage pail) the garbage pail even. Anywhere that food touches (the floor around the garbage pail), etc.

Top Comment

Another way is to sprinkle corn meal on their trails. They eat it but cannot digest it and they explode. Corn meal is also a natural way to prevent weeds from growing. It is a natural pre-emergence.

They also don't like chalk. Hope that helps.

I break cinnamon sticks and put in cupboards, window sills or where ever I've seen an ant.