Getting Rid of Carpenter Ants

Category Ants
Using a safe, thorough method to keep these ants from your home and buildings is important. This guide is about getting rid of carpenter ants.

Does anyone have an eco-friendly way to rid a home of carpenter ants or termites short of replacing all the infected wood?

CC from Northern IN

Answers

By Me (Guest Post)

I don't know about termites but I use diatamaceous earth for ants. It's crushed shells & it works great.

By Susie (Guest Post)

Kill insect with spray for killing the insects - like RAID ect. - them seal the wood with paint or varnish.

By denise w (Guest Post)

dont know about termites but you should do something soon cause the damage is worse than any home repair on you pocket book and carpenter ants and all ants dont crawl over coffee grinds i put out my used ones and it works great

You must get professional help to get rid of termites. Believe me, I know from experience. We tried spraying then sealing the wood but a year later had to replace a whole bathroom wall, costing several thousand dollars.

I would never have believed anything could ruin wood like that. It was just like tissue paper. If you catch them in time you can get rid of them before they do too much damage. Good luck.!

By Lynda (Guest Post)

Yep. LOTS of used coffee grounds right on the ground where they enter/exit. However, worms and GRUBS LOVE the grounds, so don't be surprised when
you get what looks like Genetically Modified worms and grubs next season, especially if you move rocks
near the coffee ground treated areas. I was SO shocked to see the size of the grubs, which looked like my 9 yr. old grandson's THUMB !!! The biggest of all 38 ? years I've lived here!!! lol : )

By Uncle Tom's (Guest Post)

easy one
mix spoon of borax, spoon glycerine, spoon sugar and place in entrance, they will feed the queen with it, and nest will die!

you can treat wood with boric acid products, but tend to be expensive.

By DebbyL950 (Guest Post)

Where do you buy diatamaceous earth ??

Just found a good site on carpenter ants. http://www.exte  hing/DK1015.html

Ants will not walk on cinnamon, period, fact.

I am overcome with ants, carpenter ants. Anyone have any ideas for a homemade solution or any solution? How do you get rid of them?

By Zoya from Collinsville, AL

Answers

I called an exterminator to get rid of mine. They were gone within two days.

I use Borox (twenty mule team laundry detergent) sprinkle powder inside cabinets and window seals. It contains boric acid. It is safe for children and pets, but should not be within their reach, and they should not be breathing fumes. Use the hose attachment on your sweeper to clean up powder after a few days, then take bag out to trash. This powder should not be used on pets or humans.

Repeat if necessary.

I mix equal parts sugar and borax with enough water to dissolve in a fairly flat lid and set it on the floor near an wall. It takes about three days but then there are no ants (or other creepy crawlies). You may have to keep a continual supply out for some time, but it works.

Carpenter ants are nothing to try to exterminate yourself, they are like termites. Call a professional before they eat your whole house!

I use Terro ant killer. You put the liquid Terro in flat bottle caps around where the ants are. at first, you will see a lot because they come and get it to take back to their nest, and then they disappear.

I get mine at Walmart. keep away from children and pets. Best to you.

Carpenter ants for the most part are a nuisance ant, though they are considered a wood destroying insect, they rarely do any damage at all. They never eat wood, just will tunnel in it usually wood already damaged from rot or termite...90% of all carpenter ant work I do.

They will not be nesting around any wood at all, just a hollow area such as the tubing that makes up the frame for screens and storm windows. Common areas of wood they are found would be hollow core doors and the hollow areas under the window sill.

They will not feed on the commercial baits found at stores for other house hold ants such as Terro, but you can get a specialty bait called MaxForce Carpenter Ant gel that works good for an inside infestation and Advance Carpenter Ant granules for outside, both work well when professionally tackling them and be found on the web.

Carpenter ants are eating my porch! Any easy solutions?

By CHRISTINE from Dubuque

Answers

I get them about every other year in the house when it is very dry and they are looking for water and damp places. I hire an exterminator. Or you could try the products at Lowe's or Home Depot.

They come in sprayable containers and are supposed to last a couple of months. The exterminator sprays a product that the ants take back to the nest. When they eat the stuff they die. My ants will be gone in a couple of days.

have you tried putting out some Sweet N Low or sprinkling it around where the ants are gathering?

It works for tiny ants where I live.

But I'm also experimenting with powdered meat tenderizer, the kind you buy in the spice section of the grocery store. Make sure it has papain in it.

Maybe you could mix it with the sweet n low. Like try one packet to 1/4 teaspoon of meat tenderizer.

If you do try it, would you please post your results? I'd like to see if my experimenting works and if you made any changes in the proportions.

Good luck. Hate ants.

Hope this helps you with your problem.

http://www.carpenterants.com/

We had them in our roof of our other house but didn't know it for years. The roof leaked, we repaired it with tar, 2 years later it would leak again, we repaired it. This went on for years. Finally we decided to put on a new roof. When they took off the shingles the roof was full of carpenter ants. We were told to pour javax on them. My husband did and it killed them all. We built the new roof and as far as I know there has not been a problem since.(we sold that house 16 years ago). Hope this helps.

Will Epsom salt hurt my palms and other plants and my dog? I put some all around my plants to see if it would get rid of carpenter ants.

By Sheila

Answers

No way I use epson salts all the time. It's great. May do your plants a favor. It's just magnesium.

I have problems with carpenter ants and my wood outside walls. I have problems with wasps settling in outside areas and they also go between where the slider frames are set on the wood base. Where do I put coffee grounds?

By Gail S from Bartlett, NH

I am looking for a good way to get rid of carpenter ants. Any ideas?

AZ

Answers:

Carpenter Ants

I really do not know and was hoping some one had posted something for this problem. We sprayed Raid and it did help some. My daughter had them and the exterminator came out, but the ants moved else where. They are a lot of trouble. (07/07/2005)

By Peggy

Carpenter Ants

Use black pepper. (07/08/2005)

By Althea

Carpenter Ants

We're just in the process of having moved into a home near a forest and are dealing with some carpenter ants colonies.
(FYI try a Google search on these ants)

We had a pest guy come and spray the perimeter of our house, it got rid of quite a few. Also, go around your place with a flashlight when it's dark outside, say between 10p.m. and midnight, check for ant traffic. You may be able to locate the nest, then get a pest guy to get the Queen. Viola! Ants be gone. This is pretty much it, also get rid of any moisture around wood and/or rotting woodpiles. (We actually found and disposed of a Queen this way.)

Then try using organic deterrents regularly, such as planting peppermint around the house, sprinkling cinnamon and/or cayenne all around the house, too. Also, you could burn pine resin on a charcoal all around the house in and out (this also deters wasps from nesting) and over time, your place will become unfavourable to certain unwelcome creatures. (08/06/2005)

By GB

How can I kill carpenter ants without using an exterminator? Already have one on retainer for termites. I really don't want to give them any more money.

Thanks.

Sheila from Central FL

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Carpenter Ants

Every few years I get carpenter ants in my home. I tried bait traps, but finally called an exterminator. He explained in my state we have only two types of ants (maybe fire ants at some future time) small red ants and carpenter ants. Bait traps work only on the small red ants. Carpenter ants don't eat that stuff. They are looking for damp wood and water. When I killed the carpenter ants outside I noticed the carpenter ants would be carrying off the dead ants. I asked the exterminator why. He said they are cannibals and take the dead ants back to the nest to eat. That is why bait traps and other types of deterrents don't work. Red ants eat from the bait traps. Spend the money and get a exterminator. It cost me $450 with a ninety day guarantee. The ants were gone by the next day. (09/11/2007)

By Dean

Help me please! We are having a Carpenter ant problem in my house. It started about three weeks ago. We have tried store-bought ant bait and the Aspartame tip to no avail! They hate both. I am going to try the borax and Molasses tip next. I have three cats and a dog, and don't want to spray poison.

Thank you,
Barb from Hopewell, NY

Answers:

Getting Carpenter Ants

Do you have a basement? And can you reach the sill plate of the house? If you place ant traps on the sill plate all around that should help. They won't be accessible to your pets and you can stop the ants where they get in. Terro Liquid Ant Bait traps if you can find them in your area are very good. (06/07/2007)

By Beth

Carpenter Ants

Ants will NOT cross a line of talcum powder. You can stock up at your local dollar store and it will not harm your pets. (06/07/2007)

By Annie

Getting Carpenter Ants

Terro liquid is great as Lynn Beth suggested and also cinnamon works well. I buy cinnamon at dollar store and sprinkle it around and they don't like it.

I also used ant (metal) spikes out by patio door, as my 3 doggies leave those alone. Hope something works for you. (06/07/2007)

By Annie Rios Hill

Getting Carpenter Ants

I was reading that carpenter ants are the hardest thing to get rid of according to exterminators.

Here are some web pages you might check out that give some info on it but you may not be able to do it organically. I do understand, I don't like to use pesticides either.

http://www.saferbrand.com/faq_ants.asp#q2

http://www.ehow.com/how_2037333_rid-carpenter-ants.htm

http://www.getridofthings.com/get-rid-of-carpenter-ants.htm (06/08/2007)

By Mythi

Getting Carpenter Ants

Do not spray any borax mixture. It is poisonous to all pets and small children! I suggest you Google the "Carpenter Ants" site at Ohio State University. They have a very thorough article on the subject. These ants are attracted to damp, especially damp wood, so you may have a problem in your foundation, cellar or woodpile.

Editor's Note: Although borax is poisonous in large amounts it is about as poisonous as table salt. You have to eat quite a lot of it for it to be harmful. (06/08/2007)

By Sheila Hendricks

Getting Carpenter Ants

Need to use a pest control company that will use termidor on the exterior of the home,doors windows, eaves, foundation fences, and tree branches if possible. If you have questions or concerns I can elaborate more about carpenter ants if you are interested about get rid of them in about 2 to 3 weeks.; (06/18/2007)

By joe ramirez

Getting Carpenter Ants

MAKE CERTAIN THEY ARE NOT PHAROAH ANTS, which are harmless and eat meat/sugar. Take a few to a pest control SPECIALIST for examination. If they are carpenter ants, you will need professional treatment over three years to kill the colony which could be as far away as 500 feet, according to the Pest Control firm I telemarketer for a while back.

Good luck and God bless you. : ) (06/26/2007)

By Lynda