Getting Rid of Carpenter Ants

Carpenter AntDoes anyone have an eco-friendly way to rid a home of carpenter ants or termites short of replacing all the infected wood?

CC from Northern IN

Answers

By Me (Guest Post)

I don't know about termites but I use diatamaceous earth for ants. It's crushed shells & it works great.

By Susie (Guest Post)

Kill insect with spray for killing the insects - like RAID ect. - them seal the wood with paint or varnish.

By denise w (Guest Post)

dont know about termites but you should do something soon cause the damage is worse than any home repair on you pocket book and carpenter ants and all ants dont crawl over coffee grinds i put out my used ones and it works great

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 174 Feedbacks

You must get professional help to get rid of termites. Believe me, I know from experience. We tried spraying then sealing the wood but a year later had to replace a whole bathroom wall, costing several thousand dollars.

I would never have believed anything could ruin wood like that. It was just like tissue paper. If you catch them in time you can get rid of them before they do too much damage. Good luck.!

By Lynda (Guest Post)

Yep. LOTS of used coffee grounds right on the ground where they enter/exit. However, worms and GRUBS LOVE the grounds, so don't be surprised when
you get what looks like Genetically Modified worms and grubs next season, especially if you move rocks
near the coffee ground treated areas. I was SO shocked to see the size of the grubs, which looked like my 9 yr. old grandson's THUMB !!! The biggest of all 38 ? years I've lived here!!! lol : )

By Uncle Tom's (Guest Post)

easy one
mix spoon of borax, spoon glycerine, spoon sugar and place in entrance, they will feed the queen with it, and nest will die!
you can treat wood with boric acid products, but tend to be expensive.

By DebbyL950 (Guest Post)

Where do you buy diatamaceous earth ??

Just found a good site on carpenter ants. www.extension.umn.edu/.../DK1015.html

Ants will not walk on cinnamon, period, fact.

Answer this Question

8 More Questions

I am overcome with ants, carpenter ants. Anyone have any ideas for a homemade solution or any solution? How do you get rid of them?

By Zoya from Collinsville, AL

Answers

I called an exterminator to get rid of mine. They were gone within two days.

I use Borox (twenty mule team laundry detergent) sprinkle powder inside cabinets and window seals. It contains boric acid. It is safe for children and pets, but should not be within their reach, and they should not be breathing fumes. Use the hose attachment on your sweeper to clean up powder after a few days, then take bag out to trash. This powder should not be used on pets or humans.

Repeat if necessary.

I mix equal parts sugar and borax with enough water to dissolve in a fairly flat lid and set it on the floor near an wall. It takes about three days but then there are no ants (or other creepy crawlies). You may have to keep a continual supply out for some time, but it works.

Carpenter ants are nothing to try to exterminate yourself, they are like termites. Call a professional before they eat your whole house!

I use Terro ant killer. You put the liquid Terro in flat bottle caps around where the ants are. at first, you will see a lot because they come and get it to take back to their nest, and then they disappear.

I get mine at Walmart. keep away from children and pets. Best to you.

Carpenter ants are eating my porch! Any easy solutions?

By CHRISTINE from Dubuque

Answers

I get them about every other year in the house when it is very dry and they are looking for water and damp places. I hire an exterminator. Or you could try the products at Lowe's or Home Depot. They come in sprayable containers and are supposed to last a couple of months.

The exterminator sprays a product that the ants take back to the nest. When they eat the stuff they die. My ants will be gone in a couple of days.

Bronze Request Medal for All Time! 65 Requests

have you tried putting out some Sweet N Low or sprinkling it around where the ants are gathering?

It works for tiny ants where I live.

But I'm also experimenting with powdered meat tenderizer, the kind you buy in the spice section of the grocery store. Make sure it has papain in it.

Maybe you could mix it with the sweet n low. Like try one packet to 1/4 teaspoon of meat tenderizer.

If you do try it, would you please post your results? I'd like to see if my experimenting works and if you made any changes in the proportions.

Good luck. Hate ants.

Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 168 Feedbacks

Hope this helps you with your problem.

www.carpenterants.com/

We had them in our roof of our other house but didn't know it for years. The roof leaked, we repaired it with tar, 2 years later it would leak again, we repaired it. This went on for years. Finally we decided to put on a new roof. When they took off the shingles the roof was full of carpenter ants. We were told to pour javax on them. My husband did and it killed them all. We built the new roof and as far as I know there has not been a problem since.(we sold that house 16 years ago). Hope this helps.

Answer this Question

Will Epsom salt hurt my palms and other plants and my dog? I put some all around my plants to see if it would get rid of carpenter ants.

By Sheila

I have problems with carpenter ants and my wood outside walls. I have problems with wasps settling in outside areas and they also go between where the slider frames are set on the wood base. Where do I put coffee grounds?

By Gail S from Bartlett, NH

Answer this Question

I am looking for a good way to get rid of carpenter ants. Any ideas?

How can I kill carpenter ants without using an exterminator? Already have one on retainer for termites. I really don't want to give them any more money.

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Home and Garden Pest Control AntsJanuary 6, 2013
🎃
🍂
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Getting-Rid-of-Carpenter-Ants-2.html