FleasPets

Getting Rid of Fleas on Cats

What is the best flea remedy for cats?

By Joanne

A "Best Remedy" is almost impossible as the (cat, dog, etc.) flea is one of the most abundant and widespread species on Earth. Below is an answer I provided to another very recent question about how to deal with just about any type of flea out there. As you will see, the flea has a special life and you and your pet are invited!

My husband is an entomologist so I speak with first hand knowlege and experience.

Flea eggs do not stay on your pet, they quickly drop or roll off as they do not stick to anything. The fleas you find in your house are from the flea eggs that fell off of your pet. Flea eggs are opaque white or almost colorless. What you may see on your dog are immature fleas from eggs on the floor or outside that hatch into fleas and jump back onto your dog. You will also see (many!) small black dots on your dog but these are only flea poop.

The flea eggs in your home and outside are the real problem. Just one female flea can produce 40-50 eggs per day. The eggs fall off and into your house or outside so, either way, your dog will then again attract the immature and adult fleas from their flea parents that may still be living on your dog.

Any dish detergent bath may kill the fleas on your dog, however, you can seriously dry the skin and may cause skin rashes, cause an allergic reaction, etc. and you are not addressing the real problem. The thousands of flea eggs that are still in your house and outside hatch and jump back onto your dog (and you!). So, you and your dog are locked into an everlasting cycle in the life of fleas.

As far as your cat you can't treat. The best thing to use is a pill you get from the vet it is less than $20. And use dawn shampoo to give the cat a bath. But the capstar pill will not hurt the cats skin. My vet says that dipping the cat is very bad for the cat. I put borax in my carpets used a broom to get it deep in the carpet. Leave it for 6+ hours and then vaccum up the borax ans spray beds with ecosmart bed bug and flea killer. For places that don't come in contact with humans or pets use a stronger spray and let completely dry. You can use borox and ecosmart spray on ur furniture. Make sure you us a handheld brush to scrub in the borax on the furniture leave for 6+ hours and vaccum up but make sure you get it all up. I used lice shampoo on my hair and followed the directions and then when I got in the shower lathered it up and rubbed it on my entire body it helped them to stop biting me. You need to vaccum your carpets daily and immediately empty the bag or canister outside far from your house. If you have fleas in your yard they sell at home depot spray that attaches to the hose and you can spray your whole yard. Then but borax around your whole house the stuff they sell at the hardware store is not as good. There areany other tricks ive learned if you have any questions please feel free to email me at Smith.amanda1215 ATgmail.com

Never flea dip a cat. My one cat licked her buddy that was just flea dipped. The cat was poisoned and died...

I agree with not dipping, and don't use Advantage or Frontline. Deaths have occurred from the use of these chemical products.
Dawn is considered pretty safe for an occasional bath. And you do have to wash all bedding and treat the yard with diatomaceous earth where the pets hang out. You have to treat the environment as well as the pet.