Getting Rid of Stink Bugs

Category Pest Control
Stink bugs are an irritating pest that can cause a lot of damage to plants. This guide is about getting rid of stink bugs.

To remove stink bugs, use a paper towel cardboard tube that is stapled shut on one end and scoop up these critters and then get rid of them. Squeeze the open end of the tube slightly to flatten it. Sometimes I have to gently bang the tube to get them in but normally they just fall to the bottom. You could use a pencil or something to push them in but I usually just scoop them up.

For the higher places that are hard to reach, you could use a longer tube (aluminum foil, wrapping paper, etc.). I keep a tube for wherever there is an area in our house where they like to hang out, which is normally anywhere warm.

The only good news about these bugs are that they will not breed in your house, they are hibernating until the warm weather. Needless to say, I do not want these uninvited guests visiting me over the winter.

By Mike from PA

We, like a lot of other folks, have had stink bugs trying to get in every window or door that is used and some succeed. My trick to removing them, is to use an empty Christmas wrapping paper tube. All you need to do is fold over one end, and use that one for a 'handle' Then you can get those crawling, flying pests; just 'scoop' them up. Some fall to the end you are holding, others you have to give a little pat to the tube. You then can escort them outside or tap the tube on the floor and smash in a bit of paper towel. Sure beats trying to get them with a fly swatter or going after them with a broom.

By SusieB from PA

Is anyone out there having problems with these terrible stink bugs? I'm literally a prisoner in my own home. They are getting in everywhere. There are those little openings on the window screens that they seem to get in which puts them between the window and the screen. They are also getting in under the rubber stopper on the slider screen door top and bottom. I have stuffed cotton, sprayed with bleach, but they still get in. Help!

By Alice from West Brandywine, PA

Answers

I just bought gallons of pesticide to spray along the perimeter of my house on the outside. I'm going to spray around my windows and doors as well. I hope this works because like you I've tried everything else! I'll keep you posted!

I live in Delaware and we are having the same problem. I'm anxious to see if anyone posts a solution here.

I also live in Delaware and am almost a prisoner as well! I hope someone out there has an idea. I think cold weather is the only "cure".

I am sure you are referring to the chinese beetle? Looks like a Lady Bug? They are the stinkers here in MN. I take the vacuum wand out and let them have it, take the canister outside to dump after I give them a few minutes whirling to ensure their demise. With the wands on, I can reach my 10 ft ceilings, around the corners, etc. They love hugging behind drapes of a sunny window. So far so good. The garden tip on local TV this morning said you have to destroy their larva now with pesticides or wait till the soil is warm in the spring. The cooler the soil, the deeper the larva go for the CB. The Chinese Beetle was brought to the USA to take care of the aphids on the beans in the fields. As all good things come to an end when we up-end the eco-system, CB move indoors to winter. By the way, they not only stink, but they bite too. Difference in knowing which bug is which. The Lady Bug is more red than the brown/orange.

Don't know if this will work on stinkbugs but for ants I use a trail of baby powder. Put this down where the seams of walls or anyplace you think the bugs are entering.

I am in NC. Having the same problem. In my clothes in my closet. In my home. All over my yard. Never seen this before. Not sure what to do with them either. I am frustrated also.

Don't use pesticide in your home! The ONLY way to keep them out is to seal entrances. 1) use a caulking gun. 2) Use plastic over your windows. Once they are inside, follow the advice above, using the wand on your vacuum. This is the brown marmallated stink bug. I live in the DC area, where a major news station has a reporter for this alone. This is where I got the above advice. You can check with your Cooperative Agriculture Extension Service for updates.

Thanks everyone for your help. My Brother who lives down the road was infested with them and bombed his attic sprayed the perimeter of his home thought they was gone but low and behold they were back, The other day they were back full force the store down the road had people fight them to get in . Now today its raining and its the first day i was able to open my windows and doors. They say the cool weather is on the way that's when I'm going in the attic and vacuum them up, I've been spraying them with hair spray it seems to stop them in their tracks and they don't spray. Again hang in there people from Del. and NY we're almost free. TT Grandmom I've posted a pic so you can see what they look like believe me you don't want them.

I've got 'em too. I remove about 5 a day from my house. I'm going to caulk every little possible bug entrance and see if that works to keep them out.

Stink bugs like a lot of pest bugs love light colors and light so at night that light on in the white room will only be like a glowing beacon for them. Even tho there large they can see the light and feel the warmth of any and all crevices going into your home. Unfortunately its a seasonal thing as winter comes they will go away.

The best medicine for these bugs is preventing them from coming in. Caulk every opining and ensure windows and doors are air tight ( if not use something to fill the gap), And try not to tempt them into your home by keeping unneeded lights on or heat on to high, or keeping windows and doors open for longer then necessary.

These solutions will also save you a lot of money simply by stopping your AC or Heating from going out the cracks and lowering the electric bill.

Once there inside best thing you can do is get them in a vacuum and just get them that way. Or use Very sticky fly paper near lights they'll bump into it and be stuck as they fly towards the light bulbs. (as well as any moths and flies) It may not look that nice but its the only non labor intensive method one can use for them.

I personally just catch them by hand and throw them back outside were they belong. They don't really do any damage. They're more just a nuisance. So its not a bad idea to just let them die since most will starve within a few days of getting inside. (unlike other pests like ant colony's and wheat moths)

Hope this helped ^_^;

I am finding stink bugs everyday, mostly in the kitchen. I do not know where they are coming from, but find it odd in the winter. No matter how you dispose of them, they stink.

By betty44 from Slate Hill, NY

Answers

In the cold seasons, the bugs look for warm places. They do stink so do not harm them-smashing and crushing them releases the smell. Just put them back outside, away from the house. If they die, someone else will benefit.

They are probably coming in where your kitchen exhaust goes through the attic/roof. May need to try to seal any cracks up or cover with mesh maybe.

How do you get rid of stink bugs? I don't have a photo.

By Ginny

Answers

Although I cannot yet say this will be the solution, these sound like they may be a great place to start. Hope this helps! I will be trying these out soon, as these pests have taken over! I will update, as I hope anyone else who has a remedy other than constantly breaking out the vacuum will! Thanks!

http://www.stin  f_stinkbugs.html

http://www.brig  icles/98520.aspx

How do get rid of them?

By Mary C from IN

I recently moved to an area that is overwhelmed by stink bugs. They get into my house, my garden, etc. We have tried the traps, sprays, and granules. Is there a solution to getting rid of these nasty stinkers?

By Christina