Getting Rid of White Flies in the Garden

Category Pest Control
Finding the best way to reduce the number of insect pests is every gardener's goal. This guide is about getting rid of white flies in the garden.

How do you get rid of flies with white wings flying all over my plants?

Alinka9 from Florida

Answers

five to ten drops of ivory dish soap in one gallon of water, then water as you normally would. There is no harmful dyes or perfumes and after two watering cycles, the bugs will be gone.

Click on the related links "Removing White Flies from Hibiscus ". ( right side of this page.) I had to do this once a week for 2 weeks then as needed later in the summer.(every 3-4 weeks ) It does work. And the mix gives a nice shine to the leaves..You MUST get the underside of the leaves also.GG Vi

I thought I saw some one post how to make yellow sticky cards to hang in garden to attrack white flies. Please let me know how to do this.

By Ann P.

Answers

From jerry Baker-Master Gardener
1 cup sour milk ( just set out for 24 hours or add a teaspoon vinegar to it )

2 tablespoons sifted flour
1 quart warm water

Mix and spray, using a light mist.

Good luck, GG Vi

How do I get rid of white flies? I have them in prodigious numbers every year. I spray with dormant oil every month and I've tried using K-Neem which didn't seem to do anything at all. I also have spider mites on my red bud tree that I spray for, but never get rid of. Thanks.

By Emmy from Fresno, CA

Answers

Mix one cup of "sour" milk in a gallon of water. Be sure to spray the underside of the leaves.

This hint from Jerry Baker, Master Gardener.

Here is another hint I saw on TV: Hit the plant/tree with a stream of hot water for 30 seconds. (The man used a hose). Looked like it worked. I don't have a hot water line outside though. Good luck. GG Vi

I am looking for a product to control whitefly that is called Naturalus T & O. I have been looking all over the web. I find mention of it and they say it is very expensive, but I cannot find anywhere to buy it. I need it desperately. Where can I get it?

Thanks for any help.

By Blanche