Food FixesFood Tips

Ginger Cookies Too Cake Like

So I attempted to make ginger cookies from a website I found called, All Recipes. It is a step by step recipe that I followed to the T. I'm not sure where I went wrong, but I baked a few tester cookies and they all came out cake like instead of soft cracked ginger cookies. I noticed when I was done with the batter that it was runny so I decided to chill it for 3hrs. The recipe didn't call for a chill step so according to the recipe, I didn't need to. I took the dough out of the fridge and noticed chilling didn't make a difference so I added a bit more flour and kneaded it. Still no difference. I'm stumped and not sure what to do.

Best Answer

a 'cakey' consistency to me bespeaks of too much baking soda or other leavening agent. Did the recipe call for baking soda and you overdid it? Also make sure the flour you used was basic all purpose flour and not the kind that has leavening agents added to it

Could you share a link to the recipe? Did you preheat your oven?

Lower the liquid and/or add more sugar/fat.

Sounds to me like maybe not enough flour? My cookies are soft, not quite cake like, but close to it.

They are not a hard crunchy cookie. Are you in a high or low altitude?