Giving Wine as a Gift

Category Adults
Wine is a common gift as a house warming a just a simple thank you. Not everyone drinks wine though so make sure the recipient will enjoy it before purchasing. This is a guide about giving wine as a gift.

Neither my husband nor I are wine drinkers, but on 5 different occasions, we've been given bottles of wine, as gifts. Before assuming everyone drinks wine, it's better to ask and make sure. When in doubt, a gift certificate some place would be a better gesture.

By Terri H. from NV

By jojo (Guest Post)
Top Comment

Sometimes people may not be able to afford a generous amount for a gift certificate (especially for couples) and so rather than give one for a small amount they don't bother.
I think it's nice to receive any gift and if it's something I can't use (or don't like), I accept it graciously (not wanting to offend) and pass it on to someone who can use it.
Perhaps you could 'regift' the wine or serve it to guests around holidays/celebrations.

I think the same should be said of candles!

You need a friend/neighbor who loves wine, and who will trade you for something you'd like. People are very practical about gifts these days - we Americans have so much "stuff" that we've got to pass along what we won't enjoy or our houses and garages will overflow!

I agree with JoJo. Just accept the gift graciously and pass to someone that would enjoy it, ( Want my address ?

) If you don't want to drink it, you could always cook with it too.