Giving a Sign a Vintage Look
A purchased garden or wall sign, in almost any material, can be enhanced by adding a vintage look. This is a page about giving a sign a vintage look
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
This project is very versatile. It can be done on almost anything wood, ceramic, plastic, and metal. For this project I choose metal cut outs purchased at a craft store.
Total Time: 2 hr. drying time
- indoor/outdoor spray paint
- craft paint
- sign of your choice (metal or wood)
- sea sponge (works best for the vintage look)
- scrap paper for sample stamping with sponge
- box or paper to paint on, I used a shoe box
- shepherd's hook, optional
- First take your piece (either metal or wood) and spray paint. I choose to use light green on one and a soft pink on the other. They both were sprayed with indoor/outdoor paint.
- Don't for get to paint the other side.
- Using medium tan craft paint and a sea sponge, I dipped lightly with my sea sponge and tapped it on my scrap paper so it doesn't go on too heavily on my sign. Allow to dry. This technique comes out very subtle as you tap around the edges and your wording, not only giving it a 3-D effect, but the darker shadings appear to look old and some what rusty!
- I used ribbon I had on hand to add a personal touch. It is also optional to hang your sign from a shepherd's hook. I love how they warm up the yard.
CommentsRead More Comments
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.