Making a Welcome Sign

Category Miscellaneous
There are many ways to create a welcoming sign to let your guests feel that you are ready to receive them. This guide is about making a welcome sign.

For my welcome sign, I used things my family and I had collected over the years. I'm into beadwork and hearts, hubby is into running, my son is into reptiles and amphibians, and we're "all" into dogs! I attached the items to the sign with eye screws and nails.

I used a small, inexpensive "shelf" bought at a craft store ($2.99) for my sign, but any piece of wood could be used.

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

I am big on nature. I took one long branch, a shorter branch, scrap wood, and made a welcome sign. I screwed the branches together. I put a screw(or nail) in top of the sign, wrapped copper wire around top screws.

I tied the copper wire around shorter branch to the length I wanted and there is my sign. The scrap wood is the back of a wooden chair, I just used markers to write "Welcome Friends" and put 3-4 coats of poly on it.

Source: Tired of everyone asking "What are you doing with those branches?"

By Sherry from Onset, MA

Ding dong! Our dogs were going bonkers. We needed a "No Soliciting" sign quick!

I didn't like the way the black store-bought ones looked, and I didn't want to spend money anyway. So I made my own. All the materials used for the sign were items I already had in my garage or in my office.

Materials

Instructions

1. If necessary, cut the wood to the size you want.
  2. Sand all over.
  3. If you are painting your sign, use a primer first. Let dry according to instructions on paint can.
  4. Add a coat of paint. Let dry.
  5. If you are using stain, no primer needed (I used an IKEA white rub-in stain). Apply as few or as many coats as want, allowing each coat to dry about 1-2 hours in between.
  6. Using MS Word (or any word processing program), type out the letters for your sign. Experiment with fonts, size, highlight and colors (for my sign, I used "LIVINGWELL" font and a sage green color). I recommend using a highlight color that complements the color of the paint you used.
  7. Ad

8. Print and cut out each letter with scissors or gently tear. Place each letter on the piece of wood in the layout you want.
  9. Apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the back of a letter. Press the letter onto wood, ensuring there are no bubbles or bumps under the paper. Repeat with all the letters. Let dry about 15 minutes and paint a layer of Mod Podge over the entire front of the sign.
  10. When completely dry (about 2 hours after final coat), spray a coat of lacquer according to the can's directions. I used the quick dry spray lacquer. Let dry and spray another light coat on for good measure.
  11. Drill a starter hole for the eye screw(s) in the top of the sign. Screw the eye screw into the wood. You can hang your sign from a screw (like I did) or you can use a cup hook, chain, twine, anything. The possibilities are endless!

The key is to use your imagination (as well as what you have in your home)

Have fun!

By Laura from Long Beach, CA

Are there any web sites or can you give me ideas on how to make a "Welcome Friends" sign. Thanks.

By mnvieau from Traverse City, MI

Answers

Go to www.ask.com Ask for how to paint welcome signs on rocks. Very simple. gl

You can buy the wooden shaped block at Wally World or any craft store. You can also by small Balsa wood letters, rub on decorations (or scrapbook stickers work too), and liquid Polyurethane at the craft store.

Sand the whole thing to make sure there are no splinters &/or rough spots. Apply the letters with your favorite crafting glue. Next apply the rub ons (or scrapbook stickers) to your tastes. Finish by applying the Polyurethane. I usually apply 2 or 3 coats, depending on how shiny/rough I want it to look. Make sure to let each coat dry thoroughly before applying the next one.

I have lots of pictures of different signs I've found on the internet, if you would like to see them email me at: buddysbaby143 @ hotmail . com.

Hope this helps you! God Bless,
Sheila in Springfield, IL