Making a Terra Cotta Lighthouse

Category Yard Art
An inexpensive craft project made with clay pots is a lighthouse for a garden decoration. This is a guide about making a terra cotta lighthouse.

I found the perfect lantern at Ikea to use for this clay pot lighthouse. These cute yard decorations are easy to make!

• candle lantern
  • clay pots (various sizes that stack)
  • primer spray paint
  • outdoor craft paint (I used Patio Paint brand)
  • ruler
  • pencil
  • paint brush
  • E6000 glue (or similar)

1. Spray the clay pots with multiple layers of primer. Add layers and allow to dry according to primer instructions. Spray them in a well ventilated area.
  2. Stack the pots and use a pencil to mark where they overlap. Now you have the area that will show when they are stacked.
  3. Divide the exposed area into equal sections for the painted stripes. I chose to have 2 red stripes and 2 white stripes. Use a ruler to make marks all the way around the pot, then connect the marks so that you have a guide line for painting.
  4. Ad

5. Paint the red areas, allowing to dry in between coats. Apply paint until you have even coverage.
  6. Paint the white areas, allowing paint to dry in between coats. Apply paint until you have even coverage.
  7. Ad

8. Optional: You can spray your painted lighthouse with exterior polyurethane for added protection.
  9. Apply glue to the pots and stack them together. Apply glue to the bottom of the lantern and the top of the clay pot lighthouse base. Attach lantern. Allow glue to dry completely.
  10. Add a candle to the lantern and enjoy your new lighthouse!
  11. Ad

This terracotta lighthouse is just 2 large plant pots cemented together and painted, with a lantern on top.

By patanthar

Top Comment

I love lighthouses, made this large black and white one for me, with the solar light on top. I've made a few smaller ones, that I will try selling at my craft shows. I just need to learn how to paint straighter especially when it comes to the windows and such. So easy to make.

Top Comment

Finally finished. I used the top of an old lighthouse I had.

Videos

Make a cute terra cotta pot lighthouse for you garden. Check out this video and learn how easy they are to make!

Where can the top of lighthouse be purchased ? It looks like one that is on my lighthouse I purchased from Walmart.

By Liz

Answers

Best Answer

That's a Rotera tea light holder from ikea. http://m.ikea.c … ts/art/90257982/

How did you make the windows on the terra cotta lighthouse?

By M. Campbell from Front Royal, VA

Answers

I was wondering the same thing, I'm guessing they had a template.

I did mine free hand but you could use a template.

What kind of cement is used to put the pots together?

By Brenda from Morristown, TN

Answers

Best Answer

You can stick just about anything to anything with E6000 glue avail in craft and home improvement stores. It comes clear, black or white so be sure to get the color you prefer.

Could you possibly use a solar path light, that looks like a lantern, for the &"topper"?

By Tray J. from Dannemora, NY

Answers

I've been making lighthouses out of clay pots since '85 and always used the regular solar lights for the top. Recently I did see on the internet where someone bought the lanterns but was going to use a candle with it. If you can find the solar lanterns that fit the size of your top pot's bottom, go for it. Would love to hear how it turned out and your resource for the lanterns.

I found a box of 6 at Home Depot for $18 that fit perfectly on a 4" saucer.

What kind of paint do you use for the lighthouse? Is it spray paint, as last time I painted a terra cotta pot with a paint brush it was all streaky. Any ideas on how to paint it so it is even and has not got the streak lines?

By Wendy

Answers

To make the lines clean use painters tape around the pot then spray the pot with spray paint of your color choice. There is rayon spray paint that goes on anything.

I used Folk Art multi-surface paint. It states that it can be used on terra cotta. Use a good quality brush to minimize streaking. Multiple coats of spray acrylic coating will pretty much hide the streaks. I ordered light house tops from Target (lighthouse tea light holders). Good Luck!

Make sure your paint is colder than what you are painting even if you have to put it in the fridge. It should result in a streak-free finish.

Are you sure its just two large terra cotta pots? looks like more to me.

By Janet T

Answers

The directions are for using 2 pots. The picture at the very top of the page uses 5 pots. I think you can use as many pots as you want per your taste :)

Anonymous

What size pots do you use to make the 5ft tall lighthouse??

What do you use for the base of the 5 pot lighthouse please? Thanks.

Answers

Try a red clay plate like the kind that u put red clay pots on, but I would think you would want it slightly larger than the bottom pot of the lighthouse and glue the whole thing in the center of it, either with the plate upside down or right side up.

Has anyone had a problem with the weight of 3 or 4 pots stacked on each other breaking the ones below them?

By Nina W

Answers

I made lighthouses stacking 3 pot with no breaking problems. I would feel ok doing 4.

I did one 4 pots high with no problem.

What sizes of pots do you recommend for making this feature? The pots that I have looked at stack too low down on each other.

Answers

You can place small blocks of wood, plastic, etc., between the pots so that they can stack as whatever size you prefer.

Has anyone ever cut the bottom of the pot out so the "lighthouse" can fit over a well cap?

By DT

What kind of lantern did you attach to the light house? How do you connect the pots together for the pot heads?

By Deborah from Perrysburg, OH

Answers

Looks like an IKEA lantern.

What is used for the fencing at the top of the large lighthouse?

By Juanita

Answers

Some one was wanting to know where to get fencing for light houses. Hobby lobby sells these in 3 different sizes.

Why do you have to use cement, why couldn't you use Gorilla glue?

By Debbie

Answers

Any glue that works for outside use is fine.

What type of paint do you use for the clay pots? Should you use two different sizes of pots?

By Ellie G.

Answers

A spray primer is a good idea. They make craft acrylic paint that is for outdoor projects. I found it at Joann's. Yes...it is best to use pots that get progressively smaller in size.

What size clay pots are used to make the large terra cotta light house -using 5 pots?

I need specific instructions for Cape Hatteras clay pot lighthouse.

By Deb

How large of pots did you use?

By Linda from Denison, IA

What is the black part of the lighthouse just below the lamp. It looks circular with a rail?

By Patty

Great idea- Is the little light battery operated? Does yours really light up?

By Winona from RI

Terra Cotta Lighthouse
Terra Cotta Lighthouse

Time Required for project:

Drying time of 24 hours for the silicone caulk
Drying time of 4-8 hours for the paint

Materials:

Terra Cotta Lighthouse

Instructions:

You will need to buy or find 5-6 graduated terra cotta pots depending on how tall you want this. With outdoor silicone, glue each pot to the other while each pot is turned up side down. You now have your tower for your lighthouse. With good outdoor paint, Paint your lighthouse. Pictures can be found online for the stripes as each lighthouse is different.

Coat tower with spray varnish or clear plastic coat. Top with a solar garden light. You may need to enlarge the hole on the top pot to be able to put the garden light on. This can be accomplished with a dremel tool with a sanding drum mandrel.

These would be especially pretty lining a drive way. These would also be pretty on a table using smaller terracotta pots that can be found at most craft stores. For the light on top, use a baby food jar with a glow stick that should glow until your party is over

By Debra from Colorado Springs, CO

Answers:

Terra Cotta Lighthouse

Dear Debra, How clever. this is a fantastic idea for me as I like all things nautical. I would like to try this for my garden. Thanks for sharing. (11/21/2006)

By downunderchick

Terra Cotta Lighthouse

What a great idea! (12/29/2006)

By nmcl

Terra Cotta Lighthouse

Great idea. I will give this to Dad for Father's day! (05/06/2007)

By momo5

Terra Cotta Lighthouse

I love lighthouse. I was looking for an idea for my pots. Thanks for the wonderful idea, keep em coming! (04/27/2008)

By lessa